Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

open software applications

• Please log in to reply

TARGET66

TARGET66

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
In preparation for data migration have been instructed to "close all open software applications that are running". How do I know which are running and how do I close them ? Thanks

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi TARGET66

Most of the time you can close all open windows. Not just the ones opened on your desktop but also the one's minimized. To close an open window click on the X in the right hand upper corner, to close the minimized apps without restoring them right click and choose close.

You may also need to close the applications in your system tray (where the clock is) . Right click each icon the the system tray, and choose close, quit, exit or whatever word they use in their menu that means close. Some icons may not have such an option. Don't sweat it for those they prob won't matter.

These two steps will usually suffice. If not you may need to do the CTRL ALT DEL thing and close programs there. As far as I know in win 98 ya can close every process except Explorer, explorer displays your desktop!!

A few processes may go unreported by CTRL ALT DEL and a more advance tool may be needed. see http://www.snapfiles...ssexplorer.html. Be warned this is for advanced users only, and killing some processes will crash windows.

Does this help?