Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Will Not Start, Please Help

• Please log in to reply

ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I press the power button, the computer starts like usual. There are two system beeps instead of one and no Screen Loads. No Bios, no DOS, no Windows.

I run Windows XP SP2
Athlon x64 3000+
GeForce 8600GT
4gb Ram

I tried switching out the graphics card for an older PCI-E I know works and the beeps went away but the screen still did not load.

Other than the Monitor not loading and the "two" beeps instead of one the system seems to be starting up normally. (from the sound of it and all the fans are running)

Any ideas?

Edited by ArmageddonX, 02 June 2010 - 09:05 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Looks like your on the right track with the graphics card - perhaps the old one you tried was not fully compatible with your system.

ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Looks like your on the right track with the graphics card - perhaps the old one you tried was not fully compatible with your system.

It's one long beep followed by two short beeps. My motherboard is a Abit AN-52.

I'm trying to determine what the motherboard is trying to tell me.

EDIT: It's my Graphics card... That's what I thought it was to start with... but when I put my Wife's Graphics Card into my Computer the screen still wouldn't load.

Whats with that? She has a GeForce 7100GS PCI-E.

EDIT #2: Apparently my Graphics card got so hot it burned my mobo... so I'm on my Wife's PC until I can order a new computer... sucks...

Edited by ArmageddonX, 02 June 2010 - 10:12 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

EDIT: It's my Graphics card... That's what I thought it was to start with... but when I put my Wife's Graphics Card into my Computer the screen still wouldn't load.

Whats with that? She has a GeForce 7100GS PCI-E.

EDIT #2: Apparently my Graphics card got so hot it burned my mobo... so I'm on my Wife's PC until I can order a new computer... sucks...

Could have been the power supply. I have not seen a graphics card burn a motherboard. Swapping in your wife's card I would expect some problems until the new drivers are installed. But it should still have made it through POST on the screen via normal VGA.

That said, if you feel comfortable swapping out graphics cards, it is just small leap to building your own PC. It will cost you more up front on your initial build, but the knowledge you learn from the experience more than compensates. Plus, with careful planning, and adequate homework, you will never have to build a complete new computer for many years to come - yours just "evolves" over the next 10 - 15 years or so - which is a lot cheaper than a new PC for each major upgrade. Something to think about.