Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

super slow computer

• Please log in to reply

phildy

phildy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Recently my computer has been grinding to a halt. Extremely slow, freezing up constantly. This is an old Sony Viao with two drives. The C drive is set up to handle all of the startup and program functions while the D drive is designed for any programs etc. that are added. the D drive has plenty of open space left but the C drive does not. It's maximum capacity is 13.2 GB. There is only 693 MB open space left. Could this be causing my problems? Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Windows needs at least 15% free space to be able to work properly. For your 13.2 go you would need at least 1.8 go free space and you only have 0.69 go of space.

Try to free space up
Clean your temp files
Do regular defrag
Tranfer any Music, Video and photo on the C: drive to the D: drive
Uninstall any program on C: that you do not need
Empty your recycle bin

Hopefully after that your C: will have more space and will run more smoothly.

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much. I will give that a try.

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Could you please help instruct me how to move programs, i.e. itunes from the C drive to the D drive. Thanks for your help and patience.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
There are programs that will help you clean your Temp and Junk file (ATF File Cleaner)

As for moving programs from C: to D: there is only one way to do that and it is to uninstall them and reinstall them to your drive D:, you cannot just move installed programs. When you reinstall them just choose Drive D: instead of C: when it asks you for the path (ex: C:/Program Files/Itunes)to the installation. Create a Programs Files Folder on D: and just change the C: to D: when you have the option (some programs will not give it to you).

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
As i search for programs to delete i have come across many J2SE runtime environment updates and several Java 6 updates. They take up lots of space. Can they be removed?

Edited by phildy, 03 June 2010 - 10:15 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This is for your Java and everytime it updates istself it downloads files.

You can use a program called JavaRa http://www.softpedia...load-97297.html

It will remove any old version of Java and keep only your latest one.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is your my documents folder on the system drive (C:)
if so...
Here is how to redirect the whole My Documents folder...

Click Start.. right click ...My Documents.. and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab...
In the Target box..

Type the path to the folder location that you want.. and then click OK.
For example.. D:\My Stuff.
If the folder does not exist.. the Create Message dialog box is displayed.

Click Yes to create the folder.. and then click OK.

this will move ALL the folders and sub folders to the partition or drive you designated...
and anything you save in the future will go there as well ...saving you from having to drag and drop or cut and paste files in the future... depending how you have set up your folders it may be necessary do the same for any other folder you want to move to another partition or drive...
after this is completed defrag the system drive

Edited by happyrock, 03 June 2010 - 11:08 AM.

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much! Sending my documents to the D drive opened nearly 1.4 GB to free space. I am about to defrag now. Back to my previous question--can i safely delete previous/old updates for Java and JS2E runtime environment or should i have a program do it for me? I clicked on the link to Javara that was went to me, but the site had many programs to download. I downloaded the main one, and it avalyzed my system but wanted money to fix it. I am not sure that it was the correct program. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...mp;words=javara

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just a little note to add to what rshaffer61 posted...new newest versions of java will uninstall the previous version so after running javara this time you won't need to use it in the future...

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I successfully completed all of your recommendations and ended freeing up about 1 GB of much needed space.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just a few more things...
turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive and compress drive....

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
also UNCHECK Old Prefetch data..
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS...

please make a note on how much it cleaned and post the results

Edited by happyrock, 03 June 2010 - 03:21 PM.