Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP problem - sometimes doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

dreday2

dreday2

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi there,

I started having a bit of trouble with my laptop a few months ago.

It was running slow and things took ages to load etc.

I did a bit of research and followed a few things that may help - one of them being cCleaner.

I also downloaded Defraggler and Ultradefrag to see if I could speed up XP.

I used cCleaner every day (and still do) and I've noticed Explorer is a little faster.

But when I used Defraggler and Ultradefrag neither of them manage to finish their job and always say that C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave10\~GLH0008.TMP has 61911 fragments and it always just stops on that file (left it running over 48 hours once and still no movement). So I don't think its ever been defragged fully yet.

Now whenever I try go to Start> Shut Down it rarely does - and I have to manually press the off button on my laptop.

When I try and switch it on it only sometimes (I'd say after 6 or 7 attempts) actually loads XP up.

On the occasions where it doen't all that happens is I get the windows logo show up saying 'loading' with a status bar then the screen goes blank - just the power light remains on. So again I have to manually shut down and try restart again.

Sorry I've written so much it's just I wanted to explain in detail whats happend so far.

I'd really appreciate it if there is someone out there who may know what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance,

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Let's take a look at your system and see what we can do. Please do the following steps and attach the requested logs or pics.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've now attached the requested information.

Thanks in advance,

Attached Thumbnails

• everest.JPG
  • speedfanresult.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by dreday2, 02 June 2010 - 03:59 PM.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
And the AutoRuns text file...

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps look good but Speedfan is showing no voltages so we may have to try a different program. I'm going through your Autoruns now and will be back with further instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Now as a side note i see you are running AVG 9 as your AntiVirus. This has been known to be a resource hog and can slow your system down. Are you using the free version or the paid version?
If free you may want to change from that to something like Avast or Avira which are a smaller footprint and easier on the system resources.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've done as you said - but when it came to the re-start it wouldn't do it. I shut down manually but when it reloaded a message came up saying: 'lsass.exe operation failed' then the screen went blank suddenly.

I then shut down and tried to load up again manually over and over then eventually after a lot of attemps xp started loading (each time the 'lsass.exe operation failed' mesage came up)

When it finally loaded a bubble appeared on the bottom right saying: 'Found New Hardware ACPI Uniprocessor PC'

It then went and another message popped up. I did a print screen for you (see attached)

I didnt click restart as I didn't want to risk not being able to load up again.

I'm now going to do the defrag and let you know how that goes on.

Thanks in advance,

Attached Thumbnails

• message.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to restart to finalize the installation of the hardware.
Are you sure the error message is lsass.exe with a L or is it with a I?
One is a fixable issue the other could be a new infection issue.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

It's hard to tell if its an i or an L as it only flashes up for a millisecond.

Would an .exe file show with uppercase normally?

After I shut down (manually again) it re-booted and said the hardware message again.

This time I clicked 'restart ok' and it restarted and loaded up normally.

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats great to hear. Everything is working now except for the exe error message?

Advertisements

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

It's the defragging of the C drive that to still be clogged up.

The C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave10\~GLH0008.TMP has got the most fragments.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Some files won't be defragged as they may be in use.
You can try to boot into Safe Mode and try running the Auslogics Defrag there. By running in Safe mode some of the files will be able to be defragged but as I said not all files will be straightened up.
You have a small capacity C drive as shown below.

C: (NTFS) 28615 MB (2261 MB free)

In reality the main drive needs at least 15% to run correctly and yours only has 8%.
You can try to uninstall un-needed programs, copy some data to cd's, dvd's or move music and videos, pics to the D drive to open space.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

After reading your post I went to start> shutdown.

Then tried to load up but got the same 'lsass.exe operation failed' flash up on the screen for a millisecond before going completely blank. This happened on 6 occasions (on each one I really tried to stare and read whether it was an i or an l and I'm 90% sure it's an l (lower case L)

On the 7th manual start up windows loaded.

I also got the message about the ACPI uniprocessor and a restart needed (buy don't want to re-start in case can't get back on again)

I seem to be going round in circles?

Is the lsass.exe error fixable?

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a XP installation disk?
If so please do the following and I am including instructions in case you don't have one. This is the System File Checker and it's purpose is to make sure the core system files are intact and working. If it finds any that are damaged or missing it attempts to repair or replace them. Hopefully this will correct the problem. If not we may ahve to try a Repair Installation of the OS.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I did as you said (1st option) and it didn't ask me for a CD - it just finished the scan and the message box just disappeared.

I then re-started and had the whole message about the ACPI Uniprocessor Found New Hardware message pop up and I needed to re-start. So I did.....

But then all that happened was I got back to square one! XP just wouldn't load.

Thinking it could be something like a cable issue I even unplugged the power cable and that then made XP try to load then up popped that lsass.exe message and it restarted itself - again and again and again.

I then during one of the automatic restarts plugged the cable in and up popped xp - loaded fully.

Do you think it's a virus?

What should I do?

Thanks in advance,