Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP problem - sometimes doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is your system again...make and model?

Advertisements

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Xp - Sony vaio vgnfs295xp

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi again.

I left my laptop off for the weekend and returned to it today - took the battery out - put it in again and held the laptop upside down (did it last time and it worked??!) and it started up!!!

I took a picture on my phone of the blue screen message I got that I mentioned 1st July - it says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable the ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that my laptop is working I don't really want to attempt switching it off or restarting until I've heard from yourself.

Hope we can sort this soon.

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This seems to be a bios level issue and nothing to do with the OS itself.
The current steps that need to be taken is to reboot the system and enter the bios\setup area by clicking Del[/v] in most cases.
Your system may be different and it should tell you what key or keys to push to enter the area.
Once in the area you need to click on [b]Set to default
and the system should reboot normally.
The other option could be a low or failing cmos battery.
I can't guarantee the system will boot backup but the problem is for sure in the bios of the system.
Below is the explanation given for this type of error.
0x000000A5: ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)

The cause of this message is always errors in the ACPI BIOS. Usually, nothing can be done at an operating system level to fix the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 July 2010 - 05:51 PM.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi there,

Just as I was about to give the above a go the power on our road went down!!! It was down for around an hour and guess what - yep the laptop switched off! :)

When the power was up and running again I tried to boot up but was greeted with the following message on a black screen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to start again?

Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu (permenantly highlighted)

Cotinue with system restart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't select either as the keyboard seems frozen.

I've tried to manually switch off and tap the F1-F12 and DEL key and nothing other than that frozen message comes up.

How can I enter the BIOS? Or how can I check if it's the cmos battery?

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The cmos battery will be located on the motherboard and looks like the picture below.
According to Sony's site the key is either F2 or F3 to enter the bios. This is accessed during the first black post screen.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried tapping F2 and the F3 and neither work.

Will the problem be fixed if I just change the battery do you think?

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should return the bios to default settings. You may be able to do it by removing the cmos battery for 4 minutes and then reinstalling it. Be careful if you do to not break the little clip that holds it in place.

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do I have to unplug the laptop and take the battery out? What about static etc? I've been on google and some people mention it.

If say the battery is taken out then put back in again and I can access BIOS what do I do then?

Sorry for all the questions just don't want to mess things up as we've been going a while here.

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop should be unplugged from any power which includes electric and battery power.
Static you should discharge yourself by touching something metal right before touching the laptop battery. and don't move across carpet or any surface that may conduct static while working on the laptop.
Once the battery has been replaced after 5 minutes the bios should auto set to default settings like it was when it came out of the factory. The need to access the bios may not be needed at that point.
I would rather you ask all the questions you have as it is better safe then take a chance frying the motherboard or something else. I appreciate you asking and it shows you are thinking ahead. :) :) :)

Advertisements

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Where would I be likely find the battery on my laptop? I've done a quick search on google but can't seem to find a diagram?

Thanks in advance,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which battery?
Rechargable or cmos?

dreday2

dreday2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
CMOS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will be on the motherboard. Since this is a latop your point of reference will be limited.
Check under the hd and the memory.
If not there then we may to a point where the system would need to go to a shop.

tz2010

tz2010

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.