Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Porting a number to a cell phone question

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I don't know where else to ask this question, so hopefully someone will be able to answer it for me.

I am currently a member of T-Mobile (pre-paid plan) for my cell phone service. I am interested in moving to another provider (Virgin Mobile). But before I port my number away from T-Mobile (and as a result, lose my pre-paid minutes), I'd like to test out a phone with Virgin for about a month to make sure I like it, and it does what I want.

So I intend to purchase a phone from Virgin and sign up for a plan where there will give me a new phone number. At the same time, I will keep my T-Mobile account active with the phone number I've had for years.

So my question is--assuming I DO like Virgin's service, will I then be able to port my T-Mobile number to the Virgin phone which will already have a phone number, and I will have had for about a month?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they should be able to do that, i'd ask at the store before shelling out the cash though

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks, desenette. I took your advice and did contact Virgin directly. They said they do offer new users to use a temporary number as a test drive, of sorts. Then you could port over your original number, if you like the service.

The only caveat is that they recommend you don't add a significant amount of money to your cash balance when you have the temporary number, because you will most likely lose it when you go to port in your original phone number.