Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanting to try GMER.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jim2932

Jim2932

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently downloaded the rootkit revealer GMER.exe and would like to scan my computer with it.
Is there any special precautions you should take before scanning with a application like this.
1) create a restore point.
2) Disable all running applications including your antivirus.

Has anybody had any problems with running this program?

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

From the sounds of your post it seems like you are inquiring about receiving Malware assistance with your computer. Unfortunately you will need to create a new thread and post the required logs in this forum here: Malware Forum. Please make sure you follow the steps outlined in this thread here: START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

Best of Luck.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

Alan Howie

Alan Howie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you really wanted to push things with GMER, I would suggest cloning your dive. I don't think a backup will help you much if you mes things up. It seems OK if you know what your doing, ie. You know what all the services, running applications, open files and drivers do or you know that there is a problem in a specific area.

Imagine killing your Graphics or hard-drive Driver. Reinstall thier. Apps like this can be scary to use.

Good luck using it, I personally wouldn't risk it. Im sure its a great app, i just got a great setup that I like and would never mess with it for the heck of trying. lol.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
GMER is not a tool to run just for a check up, it is a very complicated and powerful tool, as a result you should only use it when recommended by a trained expert.

If you want your GMER log to be checked then you need to follow SweetTechs instructions