Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Booting Issues

• Please log in to reply

Unox

Unox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Months ago, i had successfully dual-booted windows XP and windows vista, with vista installed first.
I was trying to move some free space around and i accidentally corrupted my vista drive, this in itself was no problem, i just reinstalled Vista.
But this led to another problem, after reinstalling vista, the XP /boot folder was corrupted, or damaged, or something.
So my fix was to reinstall XP after reinstalling vista, what happens now, is where I'm stuck.
Reinstalling XP, deletes the Vista bootloader, same goes with booting from the CD and repairing the system using BOOTFIX.
But when i reinstall the Vista bootloader, and try to boot up XP from the boot menu, XP's /NTLDR gets an 0xc000000f error.

I've looked around, and it APPEARS the solution to this problem has something to do with the bootmgr file, what exactly, i don't know.

so my ability to dual boot is quite hindered :)
i can quickly reinstall the vista bootloader and use vista
or i can repair the XP bootloader and boot XP, but i can't use 1 bootloader universally.

how do i fix?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

What it sounds like you are looking for is this command "FIXMBR" from the Recovery console, that should rewrite your master boot record and re-allow you to "dual boot" once again.

Let me know how that works

Unox

Unox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
why thank you good sir

this did seem as a viable solution. well, i tried it and it changed nothing, after i tried reinstalling the vista bootloader so i could attempt dual booting, the XP bootloader had the same 0xc000000f error as it did before. I think some files are where they aren't supposed to be, but i can't figure out what files, or where they are supposed to be!

so for now i shall continue my half-dual-booting till the lightbulb in my head goes "ding!", cause reinstalling two operating systems every day can get very tedious, very fast

Edited by Unox, 03 June 2010 - 08:38 AM.