Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer --two instances running in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sometimes IE8 opens without me executing it. I checked Task Manager and I see 2 instances:
iexplore.exe Mem Usage: 30,144K
iexplore.exe Mem Usage: 13,848K

Both are running under my user name and not system or network service. Is this running of 2 instances usual? I'd really like to kill IE8 so that it doesn't launch (it will appear in the Task Manager even if it hasn't executed an online presence) at all. As I write this, I do not have IE8 executed. How can I fix this problem of it being "on" when I don't executed the beast?

Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do not worry about the two instances showing in Task Manager as one is for crash recovery.
However the memory usuage is high.
Please download this
http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25
and run the program, you can safely check all boxes. HOWEVER it will delete some passwords, (NOT WINDOWS) but saved on websites so make sure you know them.
Then go START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, Internet explorer-No add ons, and disable any add ons you do not need. (probaly most of them) .
Please report back as more worrying is the opening of IE on its own which MAY be a virus.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 June 2010 - 04:38 PM.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I did what you requested. When I opened IE8, it is running without add-ons (disabled). I then restarted the computer and checked the task manager and there is no instances of iexplore.exe running. This is an edit: Upon using the computer this morning, the problem returned. Two instances of IE8. Anything else I should do? Thank you very much for your time and suggestions.

Edited by Sir Zune, 04 June 2010 - 07:56 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry I do not understand your reply.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE TWO INSTANCES of the ieexplore.exe one is there for crash recovery.
My concern is the opening of IE on its own
Please run this
http://onecare.live....-Us/default.htm
Uncheck the scans listed on performance. ie: the disk defrag etc.
as per the screenshot

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 June 2010 - 03:11 PM.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've scanned and no viruses or spyware. I've scanned previously (yesterday), using 4 of the best scanners around, including Vipre 4 Premium. I'm not infected.

Edited by Sir Zune, 04 June 2010 - 05:20 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Can you pls confirm if IE is still opening on its own and if so which website does it access.
If it is opening without command the site is the key to this problem

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 June 2010 - 02:38 PM.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
IE hasn't opened up since I first posted. But it still has instances in Task Manager. I close it each time I turn on the computer. I'd really like to know how to stop this from occurring, but it doesn't look like there's a fix for this, as Microsoft probably has it "fixed" so that you can't really disable or remove IE without consequence. Need updates, and other sites that will only allow IE. I just want it to stop loading in taskmanager.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I did not realise until your last post that you wanted to STOP IE loading, and use another browser.
I thought your concern was the fact it showed twice.
This is simple, had I have known the problem.
Control Panel Add Remove Programs, Left pane set program baccess and defaults.
Uncheck IE and check the other browser
See Screen shot

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 June 2010 - 01:42 AM.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
After doing what you said, I still get one instance of IE in the taskmanager. This is weird. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Sir Zune, 06 June 2010 - 05:32 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Is it showing as a application running or under process?
Take a look in msconfig under startup. Go to start...run...type msconfig and then enter.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It shows under neither one. But in taskmanager both instances are showing under username-- my user name. What a dilema!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Sir Zune

Sir Zune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I had quite a bit of "file not found" entries. Thanks for your patience and guidance.

Attached Files