Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp fan running all the time

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey i am trying to help my dad with his old computer. he has an old hp that is about 8 years old. it is a notebook. it works very well but the fan runs all the time that he is using it.

i tried to look in my old topics but they are gone. i wanted to take a screen shot of his computer and post it hear but i dont have the instructions as to what to look at to see how hard the notebook is working.

i do know how to take a screen shot though. however when i was looking at his computer i did not see paint.

thanks in advance for your help. i would like to keep dad on line.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look HERE for all your topics you have posted.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey my friend. i have been wondering where you have been. last couple of issues that i have had i did not hear from you. glad you are doing well.

when i click on my topics it only shows 2 where did you go to see all my old topics. this would help me allot so i want to have to keep asking the same things.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click on your name to the left and then click on Find Members Topics
That should bring up a list of topics clear back to March 7th, 2007

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i got it thanks. i have been going to my topics. this will help me allot in the furture without me having to ask the same things over and over.

as for my dads box i looked and i dont see paint so how can i take a screen shot of his notebook and post it? will notebook work?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What are you trying to get a screen shot of?
I use Gadwin printscreen Free for all my captures.

I assume you are looking for temperatures?

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report. Not the Report icon
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

123runner

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks for your help. it will be a couple of days but i will do this and get back to you.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well i finally got dad to let me bring his notebook home. however he has just about deleted everything that i need to connect it to the net. it has no anti virus that is running and several bits and pieces of anti viruses that are left that keep popping up asking for updates

the first thing that i would like to do is go on line and get the advast

at&t said that i cannot connect to the dsl because it has not net work adapters like when you go to control panel then network this page is blank. it should have a icon that sais lan or high speed connection

i have chatted with hp and they have given me about 10 drivers that i have downloaded however non of them seem to help me connect me to dsl

so if anyone has some ideas i would like to get dad back on the net. maybe if i can get this done for him he will ask me next time before he deletes stuff.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the model of the hp laptop?
I will see if I can find the correct drivers for you.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

What is the model of the hp laptop?
I will see if I can find the correct drivers for you.

thanks for your interest but i think that it is too late. i tried to install the xp operating system that i bought back in april for my old computer, but it would not take the second disk. i forgot that i had already regestered it on my computer so i guess that this will not work.

i am looking at just buying another operating system. i called tiger today and they said the only have 32 bit 07.

i guess i well chat with hp later and see exactly what i need

but since you asked i will give it to you because i will probably still need some help. it is a hp pavilion ze5600.

i am still going to repair it for him even if i have to pay a little.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
8 year old laptop..hmmm you may run into Win7 compatibility problems.
Have you asked HP about maybe purchasing original recovery disks for the system? This would contain all the original drivers which would get you up and running again and you would have a lot of updates to do once running.
Original Drivers for that system.
I would suspect it has a Broadcom network card so the first one seems to be the newest one for that system.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

8 year old laptop..hmmm you may run into Win7 compatibility problems.
Have you asked HP about maybe purchasing original recovery disks for the system? This would contain all the original drivers which would get you up and running again and you would have a lot of updates to do once running.
Original Drivers for that system.
I would suspect it has a Broadcom network card so the first one seems to be the newest one for that system.

i did not try to download windows 7 i tried to download xp that i bought for another computer.

i will try and see if i can buy a new windows xp after i can chat with hp.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NewEgg
TigerDirect

As i said the less expensive way would be to see if HP has the original recovery disks as these would cost you normally less then 50 USD.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

NewEgg
TigerDirect

As i said the less expensive way would be to see if HP has the original recovery disks as these would cost you normally less then 50 USD.

i got luchy back in April when i bought wp for my old notebook. i cannot find xp on the net but i did buy it from ebay. they said it had not been registered. hp does not have anything ether. i did chat with then earlier this week.

really wish Dad would buy a new one. i repaired mine just to see if it would work and i is working really really good.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it is going to get harder to find XP any more.
The link for NewEgg seems like your best chance for a OEM version of XP.
We will have to find the drivers for the system but that will be easier.