Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp fan running all the time

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i think i have it this time lets see

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Look for any entries with a Yellow Exclamation Mark or Red X's

their are some yellow ones by the other devices and video adapters

at@t keeps asking me to look at the network adaptors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your network adaptrr looks to be installed. Being a new install I'm wondering if it didn't setup the network while installing XP.
Go to Control panel and then to Network Connections.
Is there anything listed there?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Your network adaptrr looks to be installed. Being a new install I'm wondering if it didn't setup the network while installing XP.
Go to Control panel and then to Network Connections.
Is there anything listed there?

no sir it is empty except for the dial up thati installed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you need to setup a Home Network then to get the nic card to be able to talk to the internet.
I'll try to make it as easy as possible to do. Go HERE and follow the instructions for setting up setting up your computer for a home network. This is from Microsoft and they have a very good step by step guide on how to do it.
Let me know if it resolves the issue then.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i tried togo through it but i dont see the option that sais local area connection2 etherinet connection

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i tried to go through the instructions but my network connections are still empty.

seems like when i did this back in april once i could download service pack 2 things started working better. is it possible to save this to a flash drive then install it on dads notebook?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you should be able to save it to a flash drive. Get it HERE

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I believe you should be able to save it to a flash drive. Get it HERE

will this work for xp home edition?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
in the network program that you gave me it was asking for me to see this page however on my dads notebook i dont see this option

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

in the network program that you gave me it was asking for me to see this page however on my dads notebook i dont see this option

i went back and went throuhg all the instructions and this is what i gone see. on Dads notebook

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

will this work for xp home edition?

Yes

Step 7 says

If the wizard informs you that it has found disconnected hardware, make sure your network adapter is connected as described in Add a computer to your network. It's okay to have a disconnected network adapter if you're using a wireless network connection or if you connect to the network using a USB (Universal Serial Bus) cable. If you're sure everything has already been properly connected, select Ignore disconnected network hardware. Otherwise, connect your network cables, and leave the check box cleared. Then click Next.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks for your help however i am not having much luck these are the icons that i am trying to get

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the left you see where it says setup a home or office network?
Click that and go through the steps.
If that doesn't do it then click on Create a new connection.
If you have nothing then there is no network setup as i stated before. When installing XP it normally ask you if you want to setup the network. If you told it no thne you have to do it now. without it the nic card has nothing to talk to.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

On the left you see where it says setup a home or office network?
Click that and go through the steps.
If that doesn't do it then click on Create a new connection.
If you have nothing then there is no network setup as i stated before. When installing XP it normally ask you if you want to setup the network. If you told it no then you have to do it now. without it the nic card has nothing to talk to.

OK i have gone thought these steps several times however nothing happens. i am thinking that some how this did not load during set up.

i was searching on the net and i saw a site that said that it had to do with the net work card driver not being installed during set up. but i don't know what or how to do this.

also looked in the bios set up and changed it to load to hard drive