Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp fan running all the time

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you look at the screenshot you attached in post 31 it clearly shows the network driver is working. There is no yellow exclamation or red x on the entry.
I am going to ask another tech to step in and take a look at this. I may be missing a step here somewhere and a second set of eyes will help us out.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

OK if you look at the screenshot you attached in post 31 it clearly shows the network driver is working. There is no yellow exclamation or red x on the entry.
I am going to ask another tech to step in and take a look at this. I may be missing a step here somewhere and a second set of eyes will help us out.

the last screen shot that i posted was not of dads notebook but from mine. i was useing this as an example to show you what it is that i am trying to get for dads notebook. i hope i did not confuse you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then I need to see the Device Manager from your dads notebook.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i think that this is it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the Network Adapters entry is showing as working.
The only thing showing a problem is the Modem
That should have no bearing on the broadband connection using the nic card and cat 5 connection.
I am still waiting for some assistance form another tech who has more experience in this issue then I do.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

OK the Network Adapters entry is showing as working.
The only thing showing a problem is the Modem
That should have no bearing on the broadband connection using the nic card and cat 5 connection.
I am still waiting for some assistance form another tech who has more experience in this issue then I do.

OK thanks for looking into this for me.

i talked to Dad late last night and he told me that he only wanted to use the
notebook with his wireless card. so i came home and called belkin and asked them
if they could hook up my wireless card for me and it worked. so i guess in a way
we are good.i am on Dads notebook now installing advast and some updates.
i hate i wasted mine and your time for this. the notebook can notbe connected to
a dsl wire but it will work with the wireless card.

now the origional question in that i am a little worried that the fan runs all
the time. is their a way to tell if it is going bad or if it needscleaning?
other than this i think that it is working goodnow

Edited by 40vern, 20 August 2010 - 03:22 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maje sure the vents are cleaned out and the that the laptop is not sitting on anything like a pillow or something like that, These type of objects can greatly restrict air flow through the vents.
Once you get it all back up and running please do the following so we can take a look at the temps.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok maybe this is what you need. sory thatit took a day or so

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps look good so jyst make sure the vents are cleaned out regularly and there is plenty of air flow around it.
Other then that it sounds like you have it running correctly. Great job and congratulations :)

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i was just a little worried because the fanc neverturn off once they start running

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The fan on CPU itself will not turn off as that is what keeps it cool. If it turns off then the cpu overheats and shuts down.
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)

Run the setup executable file, and let it guide you for the installation process. The setup installs a service, that is started the first time that you run HWMonitor.
Take a screenshot once the program is done and attach it to your next reply. I'm looking for the temps to verify with Speedfan to make sure there is no overheating issue.
Just a double check for my own sanity I guess.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i will do this and i will get back with you thanks

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i hope that i did this rite if not please let me know

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Wrong program.
How did you get CPU-z off the HW Monitor link?

You want the HW Monitor.

Attached Thumbnails

• HW Monitor.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks 123Runner.
I had a really bad day yesterday. Ended up sitting on the highway for over 3 hours with a blown tire and 3 busted lug nuts. Finally made it home about 5 this morning and got about 3 hours of sleep.
I don't know how CpuZ got into this but your pic is what I am looking for.