Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OMG! BSOD! Help!

• Please log in to reply

hms1018

hms1018

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer crashed on me, BSOD, then I tried recovery which told me that NTLDR was missing. I fixed that by copying NTLDR and Ntdetect.com at the console prompts. Now I am in a bind and don't know what else to do. I have been on this laptop all day and now it's driving me crazy. This "THING" is now saying about the system registry has no active ControlSet key and something about the boot.ini. I've tried commands and copying , but to no avail is anything working up to this point. The OS is Win XP sp3,laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M2 S430, and I just want to save the stuff on here before it goes bye-bye.
Can anyone HELP ME? :) :) :)

Stand 4 Something or Fall 4 Anything

Advertisements

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is anyone out there that can help me, or I am I just wasting my time :) :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Do you happen to have the Windows Installation Disc?

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Not one that goes to the Toshiba, I do however have the same OS disc for my Dell???

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Well if it is the same you could try a Repair Installation.

You might also want to try using a LIVE CD

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
These cd's are not giving me the option to repair, and the other partition is too small to write to. The recovery disc is giving me another BSOD error of STOP: c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\syste32\ntdll.dll :). I will try live cd, and I hope it works!!!

Edited by hms1018, 06 June 2010 - 11:21 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

These cd's are not giving me the option to repair, and the other partition is too small to write to

Sounds like a Recovery Partition

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

These cd's are not giving me the option to repair, and the other partition is too small to write to

Sounds like a Recovery Partition

So can you tell me how to fix it because Live CD isn't working for me either. I see none of my files on there??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem is you are trying to use a Dell recovery disk on a Toshiba system. Won'
t work regardless as it will try to load different drivers which will not work on the Toshiba.
If there is a recovery partition be warned that it may not give the option of repair but on recovery.
There are two types of recovery:
Destructive: Formats and returns the system to factory new state. System will be formatted and all data will be lost.
Non-Destructive: This is like a repair installation and attempts to repair the OS while keeping the existing data intact.
Now to get to to the Toshiba recovery partition I am including the steps below:
Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...
Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The problem is you are trying to use a Dell recovery disk on a Toshiba system. Won'
t work regardless as it will try to load different drivers which will not work on the Toshiba.

Actually I am using a recovery cd that I got online, and the Dell was just an install cd. But now something else has happened, I switched hard drives(both Toshiba)and having the same problem. Is there something else wrong besides the HDD??? maybe processor etc....

Edited by hms1018, 06 June 2010 - 04:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Switched hd's as in what? Where did the other hd come from?
Was there anything loaded on the other hd?

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I took it from 1 Toshiba and put it in the 1(Toshiba)I'm having problems with. I don't remember if it has all the drivers on it, but now it is loading up, so maybe I'll just leave this HD in here and find out the problem with the other, since I still have things on there I want to retrieve if at all possible. Maybe I can find a data cord for it and check it out on another computer? What would You suggest? And thank you so much for your help!!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could do a external enclosure for a 2.5 inch drive that would connect via a usb connection and pull the data off that way.
Another way is to connect it to a desktop unit using the IDE or Sata connection and transfer the data that way.
If it is loading correctly you may be in luck especially if the two system are not the exact same models. It's uncommon for a hd out of one system to bootup in another if they are not the same model systems.

hms1018

hms1018

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I'm in luck because it works perfectly. I will try the other with the desktop and the IDE cable. Thank you soo much for all your help. :) :)

Stand 4 Something or Fall 4 Anything

Edited by hms1018, 07 June 2010 - 01:14 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how everything works out. We always like to know good or bad as it may help someone later with the same issue.