Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

THINKPAD PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

luckybib

luckybib

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

just in case you can help

IBM THINKPAD 600 TYPE:2645; PENTIUM 2, 64RAM; 4.75GIG HDD; CD ROM, FDD

boot problems

runnning wins 98

sometimes, 98 opens fine, 1st time

other times, when switch laptop on, you just get no-where, with irriatating messages:

'error' then it lists these numbers: 00173

at the bottom offers 'ok' or 'cancel'

neither of which get you to 98 anyway
pressing cancel lists those numbers again, with NO options to exit or cancel, etc, & no mouse (mouse is on 1st screen mentioned)

doesn't respond to ctrl, alt delete at this stage have to switch off manually

if you slect the 'ok' (instead of cancel) at the 'error' prompt (the 1st screen which comes up after switch on) it gives you a date check screen, & time etc
& only 'ok' or 'cancel' at bottom

if you select 'ok' it re-boots then offers yet another screen (still no 98) thsi one says: 'off' with an arrow pointing towards word 'on' to which I assumed it is asking me to switch off then on again? no mouse here either

if you switch off, then on again, THIS DOES ENTER 98 OK

how do I stop this silly error sequence prior to 98 screen?

when you 1st switch on, top left screen says: 064960ok
with 192 directly below

words: ibm top rt & thinkpad bottom left

but even if you shut windows down correctly it brings the error messages above, sometimes with just 192 but other times with all 3numbers listed

& sometimes the beneath the error messgae you are offered: test or re-start

test gets me now-where, either, apprs to do all sorts internal checks then nothing gets me to 98

re-start just brings another message: lists only: '192' then red equals sign, crossed-out 'ok' , white arrow pointing to ibm manual (presume means look in book which I haven't got) no mouse at this stage, It does respond to ctrl alt del, brings error message 192 (again)

PS: WHEN WINDOWS OPENS THIS ISN'T QUITE RIGHT, IT ONLY FILLS 1/4OF TFT LAPTOP SCREEN, & GOING INTO PROPERTIES/SETTINGS/OF DISPLAY & TRYING TO MOVE SLIDER BAR TO INCREASE SIZE IT DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO MOVE SLIDER

hope you can spare time to help

regards

TIM

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Tim, my best guess is the battery on your motherboard is dying. Not sure how you go about replacing it on that laptop. Laptops are not as user servicable as desktops, you're best bet might be an authorized IBM service center. <_<