Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Physical Memory Dump

• Please log in to reply

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Toshiba Laptop I bought at Best Buy in 2003. It has never given me problems until now. I have Windows XP and I'm now having the problem that it will only run for a minute or two, if that, before I get the dreaded blue screen. It says problem detected and shut down. Process or thread crucial unexpectedly exited or terminated. This isn't the first time and there is no new software or hardware. In fact there should be less software as I deleted a lot of unused programs but none that I didn't know what they were or should have been crucial just messenger programs and photo programs. The Technical information on the current blue screen reads.
*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x82D7E180,0x82D7E2F4,0x8060567E)
Hope that helps.
I give my thanks to anyone willing to help. Thank you and have a great day!

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
JoshMilam-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Let's get a look at those blue screens...
  • Please download BlueScreenView (choose the ZIP folder).
  • Extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP folder.
  • Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
  • When scanning is done, go to Edit > Select All.
  • Go to File > Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
  • Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy the information (Edit > Select All, Edit > Copy) and paste it into your next reply.
This will help give us a better picture of what's going on.

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK first of all it could just be the RAM going since the machine IS 6 years old but to be sure go to this link and grab the program and run it. when the program sees an error it will then tell you whats causing it and then you can remove it to get rid of the bsod and continue. if it cant find an issue in either the programs or hardware then its most likely the RAM which can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply since the type of RAM that machine has is old enough to be cheap by todays standards

http://www.mydigital...sh-information/

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will do my best to download the blue screen view program, but I'm not sure the laptop will stay booted long enough to so. I'm using my desktop to communicate with you.

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the advice to both of you I will do my best. Have a great day!

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well guys I don't know what to say it won't even boot up now. Just goes to black page says for realtek pci fast ethernet controller with some numbers and letters and then says PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F:Exiting PXE ROM and keeps repeating. I can hit ctrl alt del and it goes back to the Toshiba setup boot selection page and no way I try to start will it bypass the other page it always goes back to that. Even if I try safe mode.

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Also I just took off the RAM cover to see just how easy it was to change them out, and I also took off the fan cover to try and blow it out better and when I put the covers on and started it I took a look and the fans spin for second and then stop could that also be an issue overheating something.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Well guys I don't know what to say it won't even boot up now. Just goes to black page says for realtek pci fast ethernet controller with some numbers and letters and then says PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F:Exiting PXE ROM and keeps repeating. I can hit ctrl alt del and it goes back to the Toshiba setup boot selection page and no way I try to start will it bypass the other page it always goes back to that. Even if I try safe mode.

When your computer cannot boot from the hard drive, (:)), it will look for anything else available to boot up from.

"PXE" (Preboot eXecution Environment) is the ability to boot the computer from a boot server through a network interface (NIC/Ethernet card).

So, if there is no locally available bootable device, (such as a hard drive, floppy, CD/DVD, USB key, etc.), your computer is trying to use PXE next.

Solution: Remove and replace the dead hard drive. :)

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
yes you will hav eto do something about the fan not spinning although the avoe is also true
without a fan the temp rises and the processor melts down basically

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I'm not sure the drive is dead... the BSOD reference OP posted relates to a faulty NDIS... not sure that's a sign of a dead hard disk...

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you all for the advice. Against the advice of a friend I took apart a lot of stuff on the laptop. I am very inclined towards mechanics and electronics been taking apart devices and engines for years. Although I had never taken apart a laptop it was very simple and I will never regret it as I learned a lot about my unit. The heat sinks were completely clogged with cat hair and dust. I will be thoroughly cleaning the unit and will oil the fans and reassemble the unit. Hopefully this alone will get me booted back up long enough to run some of the diagnostics you guys have suggested. I will definitely let you guys know how that works. Also I will probably go ahead and upgrade from the two 256 RAM modules that are original to two 1GB modules if cleaning gets it running again. Does anybody have an opinion as to what brand would be better I found that toshiba sells a Kingston DDR, but edegtechcorp.com sells a NONECC that's a little cheaper with free shipping. Everywhere else I looked was a little more. Again thanks in advance for any help. Have a great day!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I will be thoroughly cleaning the unit and will oil the fans and reassemble the unit

Do not oil the fans. They should spin free. Oil will pick up addition dust and cause it to freeze up.
===============================================================================
You can test the memory

Broni's Instructions:

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.
==============================================================================

You can test the hard drive using the manufacturers diagnostics.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.
================================================================================
Both the tests run from a CD.

If you get the laptop running, you can go to the following sites for what they offer.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

123runner

JoshMilam

JoshMilam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As I understand it using only one drop of oil on the shaft behind the label is perfectly acceptable. As I've worked on fans much larger but of the same type this would seem to be logical. I realize over oiling even on larger fans can cause problems, but any 3in1 or sewing machine oil should suffice if done properly.