Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I have a Very unique problem with my wireless Network. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Jaethan

Jaethan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, here's my deal. I used to have Cable and Internet with Comcast, and my internet was at 16 mbps. We were all getting about 13-15 Mbps down and about 3-5 Mbps upload. Sadly, we had 2 xBox's on our system, and with the computers and everything, out total was 1 xBox and 1 Laptop direct connected, and 4-5 computers and a second xBox wireless. And we still got those speeds. We were running the basic modem and a Linksys WRT320n. Dual band and everything. But, we had a crap wireless adapter for the upstairs xBox, so we had to run WEP security, and set it up so that only certain MAC addys can access the network, and a 32 digit hex password. You could break it on a linksys system in 5-6 hours no problem, but we still got 13-15 down and 3-5 up on all machines.

NOW, we have upgraded to a 50mbps connection. (I know, sweet right? lol) BUT we have having serious problems. Apparently, WEP can only handle so much information at a time, so we had no choice but to upgrade to a WPA2 security, and have everything on the network running off of N devices. So, with new adapters to everything and running at 2.4GHz (We've heard that xBox's can disrupt networks running on this frequency, but nothing confirmed), we are getting about 10mbps Down and 12mbps Up. I have never in my life seen my upload faster then my download. And, it being slower then what it was. The weird thing is, that when we direct connect to the router, it get about 60 Mbps up and 15 Mbps down. For some reason, we are getting less down wireless, and more up. But direct connect is running better then ever.

Now, to trouble shoot this, we decided to go with the Netgear router that Comcast suggested would be the best bet. When we went with that one, we are now getting around 15 down and 12 up on all machines. But still 60 up and 13 down when we wire in. 7 customer service agents later, and someone actually coming out to our house, we are having the same issues. And don't get me wrong, we are very computer savvy in this house. I am in college majoring in Digital Media, my roommate is majoring in Computer Networking, and my other roommate is majoring in computer engineering. Granted, we are all only in our first year, or we might have figured this out for our self's, but still. We're not your average users. And yet, we're stumped.

Can anyone tell me why my wireless is running so slow to all machines? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. : )

~Jaethan

Edited by Jaethan, 04 June 2010 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What OS are you running? Have you updated firmware for the router? Have your tried different channels on the router? What particular Netgear router are you using?

What's your RWIN set at? Check it here. Since your only getting the slow speeds through wireless, this probably isn't the problem.

Try disabling the WPA-2 encryption on the router and on one of the machines. See if this helps your
speed at all. Even if this does help, I don't recommend leaving WPA-2 disabled, just for troubleshooting.

Remember, it also depends on the placement of the router. Are you getting %100 signal strength?
No matter what, you are going to lose some speed when going wireless. Just the way it is.

:) SGC :)

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 07 June 2010 - 03:23 AM.

Jaethan

Jaethan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
2 Computers are running Win7, the other 2 are running Vista. We have tried every possible channel, flashed the firmware twice, and have run every security setting I can imagine. Still [bleep] speeds. (I don't know off the top of my head which router I have) And, if it was a signal problem, I'd be noticing slower upload speeds as well. But I'm getting AMAZINGLY fast upload, and crawling download.

Jaethan

Jaethan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
By the way, you might be able to make more sense out of this then I can. . .

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 06.06.2010 16:27
IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Client OS: Windows 7

TCP options string: 020405b40103030301010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 487872 (NOT multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 3 bits (2^3=8)
Unscaled RWIN : 60984
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 19515kbps (2439KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 7806kbps (976KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 51
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'm not sure what happened with the link I've provided in my first post, but those results
are not correct. My apologies, please try again.
When you get to the linked page, simply click the 'SG TCP/IP Analyzer' link and post the results
here once again. Also, make sure you do this from one of the machines using wireless connection. :)

:) SGC :)