Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore points disappearing

• Please log in to reply

Appleszs

Appleszs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My system restore points keep disappearing after rebooting.

Any ideas why and how to fix this?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Appleszs,

Are you getting any error messages, low disk space warnings, etc.? This could be a Volume Shadow Copy issue.

Please keep me informed.

Donna

Appleszs

Appleszs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not getting any of that, it just randomly disappears. I don't get any notification if it happens.

However, I just rebooted my computer just now after creating a restore point, but it stayed this time around, so I haven't quite narrowed it down to when it happens.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
If it is a dual boot then the older version will wipe out win 7 restores

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I'm not getting any of that, it just randomly disappears. I don't get any notification if it happens.

However, I just rebooted my computer just now after creating a restore point, but it stayed this time around, so I haven't quite narrowed it down to when it happens.

Let us know if you have a dual boot and if this happens again! Take mental notes on whatever you do prior to this happening. That may help to solve the problem. Also, go to > start > right click on computer. Check your disk space volumes. Let us know.

@ hary,

I see you are still at XP SP2. You should be updated to SP3 on XP. Support for XP SP2 is going to end shortly. You may want to visit MS Updates and update to SP3 for your protection. :)

Please see link > Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010

You'll find the update on that same page as well!

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 05 June 2010 - 02:02 PM.

Appleszs

Appleszs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nope, I'm not dual booting, however it hasn't happened again, the only thing different this time was that I put 2% Max disc space usage, which is 18.38 GB. Before, I only had it on at 1% which was 9.19 GB. Hopefully that will be the permanent fix for it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Appleszs,

It really depends on how many restore points you would like to have stored on your computer for what you should set the MAX storage size to be. By default, Windows 7 will allocate 10% of your total C: drive/partition size to be used to store system restore points in this allocated disk space. This allocated space will no longer be available as free space.

The size of each restore point will vary from system to system due to what you may have installed. As a rough guideline, I would give about 1.3GB of space for each restore point that you would like to keep + 1.3GB for a new one to keep 1 older one. If you still aren't getting the amount of restore points you would like, you may want to adjust that allocated space a bit more.

Good luck!
Donna

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
a) Right click Computer Icon->Properties->AdvancedSystemSettings->SytemProtectionTab where configure will show disk space allocated (if not enough, would auto delete old I'd epect)
b) Right click C: drive->Properties->Hit DiskCleanup->MoreOptions Tab: System Restore&Shadow Copies. Incuding this in cleanUp will remove all but most recent.