Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Laptop Startup Issues

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you try this for me :
Disconnect the lead from the power adapter & remove the laptops battery. With power lead still disconnected, press & hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge the capacitors.
Reconnect the power adapter lead but not the battery. Boot up the laptop etc & see if this makes any difference.

Advertisements

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
do what you did last night but dont unplug ac adaptor when you switch back on
and check the battrey if you have one dead cell the laptop would run few a few min then die if 12v but car 55 head watt bulb across the battrey should stay lite for some time at least 15 min or so if not then batt prob had it

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Me again...

Tried the hold power button down for 30 seconds with no AC or batter, then plugged in AC and powered up. Loaded up windows, got my desktop screen, then just went black.

This is quite a doozy. I wonder if I remove the hard drive, connect it to my home PC, and get all the info i need off of it, then try and re-install windows? Not sure if that's a good idea or not?

Running out of options...

Mick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think backing up the data on the laptops drive is an extremely good idea.
However reinstalling windows will not make any difference. If you remember, the laptop couldn't even work for long enough to get through memtest. As memtest loaded from boot disk doesn't use the hard drive at all (and therefore is totally independent from windows) it means the problem is not the OS or even the drive.

Did you manage to find out any more about this power adapter fault that guy reckoned he could fix?

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I fired off an email to him requesting he give me the details, and am yet to hear from him.
When I do, I'll post his response.
In the meantime, I'll backup the hard-drive for safe keeping.
Mick