Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

usb broadband modem

• Please log in to reply

daphine

daphine

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I currently have a wireless modem. It is possible to connect all of my desktops to the internet with a usb broadband modem. I have a usb wireless adapter connected to them already.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
We need brand and model numbers of your network devices.

daphine

daphine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have not bought the usb wireless modem yet, I wanted to make sure it was possible to use it to network with all my pc's first. I was looking to buy the Cricket USB modem. I have 2 generic network adapters and they work fine with my current modem and router

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I didn't realize you were talking about a cellular modem. I have not used them. And I note there are several models so we would probably need the exact one you are looking.

That said, note your network is established by your router.

daphine

daphine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Are you saying it depends on the cellular modem? And as long as I have a router it can be done even though the modem is not connected to the router? (don't know much about this stuff)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I am saying that a network is created when you connect one or more computers to a router. From there, the router must be connected to a "gateway" device to the Internet. The gateway device is typically a modem.

Note that we are talking about discrete, independent network devices - even though they may be inside the same box. A router has only one input and one output. Most routers, however, have a 4-port Ethernet "switch" inside the same box. But "technically" the router and the switch are two separate devices.

There is no such thing as a "wireless router" - that is a marketing term. A "wireless router" is just a router, 4-port switch, AND a wireless access point (WAP) inside the same box.

So my "guess" is you connect your computers to your router, then your router to the modem.