Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access All Programs in the Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

Cappie

Cappie

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,

Yesterday, I noticed that when I click on the start button and scroll over to All Programs, it will give me the list of all my programs but will I tried to click one of them, nothing happens. It wont even highlight anything I put my cursor over. I used the TFC cleaner, did a malewarebytes scan, a AVG virus scan and a reboot. Nothing came up in the scans

Right now, strangely enough at random I am able to access all programs through the start menu. I'm able to access programs my desktop, My computer etc, and programs pinned to the start menu.

In all the confusion of trying to get my scans ready, I think I posted this in the wrong section but if anyone could help me here. I appreciated it

Edited by Cappie, 05 June 2010 - 12:14 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore?

Cappie

Cappie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When I opened System Restore the only date available to go back to is today's date. I had the problem since before that.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is system restore enabled?

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

Cappie

Cappie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
System Restore is turned on

When I did the scan, it kept pausing to tell me "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied into the DLL cache"."Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-Rom now". Problem is I dont have a "Windows XP Home Edition CD-Rom" or any CDs for this paticular computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, it looks like you do have some system files issues and the only way to fix them is to get XP CD.
Borrowed one will do, however you have to make sure, it's a same XP version (Home for Home, Pro for Pro).

Cappie

Cappie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I found it wierd that at times that I am able to access all programs through the start menu and other times I am not so I had orginally intented to post this in the virus section to rule out the possibilty of a virus. Since the last time I had problems using certain programs it was due to have a rootkit on my computer.

Thinking back to when this problem started, I was cleaning my computer on the 1st and AVG picked up a trojan which was removed and further scans did not detect anything. So I hope it was just a trojan and nothing else that came with it. Should I get cleared by the virus section while I try to find a disk?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Cappie, 05 June 2010 - 02:42 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Checking for an infection never hurts.
You need to start new topic in malware forum.