Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not load up

• Please log in to reply

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I cannot get Windows to load up on my computer. I am running Vista on a 7 month old emachines. I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc in the drive if that will help get this thing running again,( although there are some recent photos that have not been backed up that I would like to get if possible)

When I start computer, here are the messages I get:

eMachines screen

Boot from AHCI CD ROM
No Emulation -System Type 00

Pres any key to boot from CD or DVD

Microsoft Corporation (with a loading bar)
-My Hanns G monitor says "Adjusting"
then everything goes black.

Here are the things I've tried.

A. If I push a button to boot from CD it says "Windows is Loading Files" for about 3 seconds, then goes black for 60 seconds and flashes a blueish, greenish desktop looking screen with a circle that looks like its loading something. This lasts about 2 seconds and then all goes black and nothing else happens.

or

B. If I do not push a botton to boot from CD and just let it boot normally, this is what happens:

There is a real quick screen that says something like "Windows did not shut down properly. You may be able to save...... by starting in one of these safe modes:
- Safe Mode (when I choose this, it goes black for a bit, then a large arrow appears, then all goes black again. nothing else happens
-Safe Mode with Networking (same thing happens) -should i click something else at some point?
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt (same thing happens) - do i need to enter a command here?
or
-Start Windows Normally (black screen, nothing happens)

The only other things I see that I can press are right at the beginning when the eMachines screen comes up. It says I can press F10 for Display Boot Menu or F2 for BIOS
When I choose F10 I am given these options:
-Hard Disk
-Removable Device
-NVIDEA
-Atapi DVD

choosing any of these does nothing to load Windows.

or if I choose F2 and then I get the BIOS screen which flases for about 1 second or so. But I'm not sure what to do at that point. Any ideas or help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi abbygale :) sorry to hear you are having these issues.
Had you changed the set up of your computer at all before the problem
started this includes windows or any other updates.
A couple of things for you to try in this order;
There's a chance that you can fix it by entering the command prompt in the repair environment:
chkdsk /r /f c: do this in safe mode.
If it's a corrupt boot volume, that might be able to fix it.

Something else to try: you might be able to recover some of the data with a Windows Vista
Recovery CD - it'll allow you to use system restore to roll your system back to a previous date

You will need a Vista DVD in the drive & it must be the same as the
present OS if you havn`t got your own try & loan one & follow this
repair guide;

1. Restart the computer from the Windows Vista DVD (the computer must be configured to start from CD/DVD), and start setup.

2. When prompted, click repair your computer.

3. Startup repair will automatically detect a problem. When prompted, click repair and restart, and then restart your computer from the Windows Vista DVD. If startup repair does not automatically detect a problem, continue to the next step.
4. When prompted, click repair Your Computer.

5. Click startup repair from the system recovery options.

Startup repair will try to find any corrupted files or startup misconfigurations. When prompted, remove the Windows Vista DVD and restart your computer normally.

If Windows still won’t start, or if startup repair doesn’t find your hard disk, troubleshoot the problem as a hardware issue. This can be complicated, but here are some tips:

•Disconnect any USB devices from your computer.
•Remove any recently connected hard disks.
•Unplug the power and other cables from each of your hard disks, and then reconnect them.
If you still can’t start your computer and Windows Vista still fails to see your hard disk, you might have a failed hard disk. It happens, and when it does, it sucks. Hard disks have moving parts though so they can fail even after only 7 months. Hopefully you’ve got a backup if this is the case.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. Questions for you:

"There's a chance that you can fix it by entering the command prompt in the repair environment:
chkdsk /r /f c: do this in safe mode."

Do I do this after hitting "safe mode" or "safe mode with command prompt"?

Either way, when I choose it, it doesn't show anywhere to type anything. It scrolls through a bunch of code or something real quick (It says "Loading window files" and then there's a bunch of code or something below it) and then goes black.

I do not believe I had done anything out of the norm recently. I do automatic windows updates. Last night I was watching some streaming video. Everything was going fine and this morning all was black. I never shut down or anything.

Unfortunately, I do not believe I have the Vista Recovery Cd. They sent the windows 7 upgrade disc with computer, but i dont see any vista recovery. should that have come with pc?
I doubt that I know anyone who will have this disc, but I will ask around.

Thanks for your welcome to geekstogo and for your continued support and help.

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
actually ive made a copy of the recovery disc. i boot from disc, and then the windows repair starts, but only stays up for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes black again. i can't get any screens to stay up for more than 2 seconds in my startups.

Edited by abbygayle, 05 June 2010 - 08:36 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If you have not used the Emachines official troubleshooter, I recommend you go here http://www.emachines...2007050376.html.
I know the stops seem a pain, but go though as many as you can and if the problem not solved, at the bottom of that page is an option to get live chat help.

Please let us know how you get on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I am running Vista on a 7 month old emachines

Is there warranty on this unit? If so, I would return it for repair.

What is the make and model?
Laptop or desktop?

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I may have a break in the situation with some advice and playing around and the problem may be with the monitor
:
I think it may indeed a monitor issue because I hooked it up to an old monitor i had up in the attic and the pc does seem to work fine (at least in safe mode for the moment). Of course I could be wrong...

However, I cannot even get to the menu on my monitor. The strange thing is that I can see everything for about 2 seconds, but then it goes away (even if PC if shut down) . I have a Hanns G monitor. But I can't keep the screen from going black to get to the restore default in the menu.

Do you think there would be a way to reset default without having access to the on screen menu? I can't seem to find any indication of one in the user manual unfortunately.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try tapping 0 on the your main keyboard on boot up (not number pad).
If that doesn`t work try again but tap 0 & enter.
The above seems to have been a fix for the emulation 00 problem for
a few people, if the above doesnt work follow the advice of 123Runner
& return the computer.
A point of note; a lot of the people with this problem encountered it
after windows update.