Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Device Error

• Please log in to reply

BertandErnie

BertandErnie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Type 6457. I removed the hard drive in order to see what type it was (IDE or SATA), then put it back in. Since then the computer will not boot.....I went into BIOS (specifically, to check the boot order) and next to the name of the hard drive, it says "Device Error". I again removed the hard drive and reseated it; however that failed to resolve the problem. I removed the hard drive again and seated it in an identical laptop that had been throwing up blue screens with the error 0x000000b7 (or 0x0000007b, can't remember which) each time it was turned on. However, I got the same results on this second computer. Then, after replacing the drive back into computer #1, I turned on the second computer in order to determine what the exact blue screen error number was....b7 or 7b....and instead of the blue screen, the computer responded with the exact same message as Computer #1....device error. Had it been just the first computer, I would have thought the hard drive might be faulty, but it seems too much of a coincidence to have two hard drives with the same problem. And it also seems coincidental that #2 started getting the Device Error message only after the hard drive from #1 was inserted. Now the hard drive does not seem to be getting detected in either laptop, regardless of how many times the drives have been reseated.

Both laptops are exactly the same make and model and they ARE company computers; however, I travel frequently and opportunity to take the to the office for repair is quite difficult, not to mention that the IT department at my office appear to know less about computers than a five-year-old, so if this is something I can resolve myself, that is my preference. I don't want to resort to a clean installation of the OS, as I have software and files I desperately need to keep, and being company computers, I have no recovery CD.

How do I resolve this? IBM has not been helpful at all. My computer is for work and need the files on it, so a clean install of the OS is not feasible. Any ideas? Please advise ASAP. Anything you can tell me will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
since you did not specify which type drive it is IDE or SATA the next idea is to take the drive and place it in a 2.5 inch enclosure on a desktop if its IDE and see if it can see the drive thru windows as a second drive , if so then the drive is OK and the BIOS may be able to find the drive since windows can
depending onthe BIOS of the laptop you may be able to tellit to seek the drive and then once it finds it list it as 1st boot device