Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want to use three monitors

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok i need some help...
I have a video card right now that is hooked up to the PCI express slot. I have a nvidia gforce 7300 gs.
It has two outputs... dvi and vga.

Im using windows 7 pro...

I have a third monitor that I want to connect to my pc.

I have an Intel 945gct-M motherboard with one PCI express slots and two PCI slots....

Any suggestions??

Ive already tried to use the cable that is attached in the this message but it did not work.

any suggestions will gladly be appreciated.
Do I have to buy another video card??

2010_06_05_20_37_02.638.jpg

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You'll need two video cards, either a pair of them, both with dual-outputs, or one dual-output card and a standard single-output card.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you sure that is not an ECS board?

Some boards allow you to enable the on-board graphics as well as use a card - some board automatically disable on-board when a card is added. Check your motherboard manual.

That said, using on-board will cause some of your system RAM to be snagged for on-board graphics processing so I would recommend adding a second card. But I caution that may require a getting a bigger PSU to support the added demands of the 2nd card.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Yes my fault, it is an ECS motherboard. I asked the guy at the pc shop and he said two video cards will not work... Ugh I should have gone with my gutt feelings. I will look up the motherboard manual and see if I can allow the on board graphics also and if that doesn't work I'll buy a second video cardcwith a single output.

I tried to use the cable I showed you guys to try to hook up all three but for some reason it only allows two monitors to be displayed. Even when I go into the video card's control panel it will not detect the third display.

I'll try the enabling ofthe onboard graphics first of all.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok... i finally found the manual and I am soo lost as to how to enable the onboard graphics card.
Does it have anything to do with this??

Init Display First (PCI Card)
Use this item to select which graphics controller to use as the primary boot devices.
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA (Yes)
If this item is enabled, an IRQ will be assigned to the PCI VGA graphics system. You
set this value to No to free up an IRQ

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok, i went into the bios and i only saw the options to enable the default card as PCI or PCI express, so I guess I cant enable the Onboard graphics with the Video Card. Ill wait until tomorrow to buy the PCI card.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I asked the guy at the pc shop and he said two video cards will not work...

I don't believe it. Two cards should be easier to setup than one card and on-board. Your 2nd card would have to be PCI (not PCIe).

The init display is not it. It would be under integrated devices.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yea, ill be buying the card tomorrow...
i went into the bios again and i didnt see that option...
I would have had the video card yesterday but the dumb dude at the store said it wasnt going to work..
Im pissed. But ill do as you all say and then check back with yall tomorrow evening...

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok so it worked. Im using three monitors.... that dude at the pc store was still trying to tell me it wasnt going to work.. i had to pressure the guy to sell me the card.. I was like yo... ill take my chances..
So im using a widescreen 19" as my main monitor, then I have two 17" to the right. Now I have to find a wall paper that will make it look all nice... again.. thanks alot....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i had to pressure the guy to sell me the card..

Idgits!

Glad you got it going. Thanks for the followup.

Note it costs money, but UltraMon is the best multi-monitor support program out there. Also, Blatte's Backgrounds at Exoteric Roach offers some great backgrounds and UltraMon will allow you to have a different background on each monitor. I use 2 widescreen monitors so I really like the "Dual-Desktop" backgrounds.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
my current set up and I will look into what you were talking about...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0346.JPG

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Nice!