Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buying laptop...need help

• Please log in to reply

jodana

jodana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, so I'm looking for a cheap 2nd laptop mostly for office use. To write reports, papers, maybe check my email once in awhile. I found 2 used laptops on craigslist but I have no idea what I'm looking for. I don't need a lot of memory but the faster the better. Can anyone tell me which of these is better deal or if they're both a rip off? Again, I'm not looking for anything fancy. I already have a good laptop and a desktop PC I basically just need something cheap that'll allow me to use Microsoft Office.

Here they are:

Dell Latitude D600. Intel Celeron M 1.4Ghz. 512Mb. Ram. 20Gb. H/drive. CD-RW.
Built-in wireless. 14" LCD. Windows XP Pro(coa) There is a slight sticker residue
mark on the outer case, otherwise it is immaculate. The keyboard is unmarked-no signs of wear, & the LCD is crisp & clear with no marks or dead pixels. Complete with AC adaptor, good working battery (holds full charge) & carry-case. It is in perfect working order- inspection welcome. $190

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100. P4M 1.7 Ghz. 512 Mb. Ram. 30Gb. H/drive.CD-RW.
15" LCD. Built-in wireless. Windows XP Pro(coa) SD card reader. 2 USB ports. 1394
Firewire built-in. Built-in 56K Modem. Bui;t-in 10/100 Ethernet. Complete with AC
adaptor, good working battery & carry-case. It is in :as new condition- the outer case is unmarked, as is the keyboard, & the big 15" LCD is crisp & clear- no blemishes or dead pixels, & it is in perfect working order. Any inspection welcome $195

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jo

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can get a new laptop/notebook for $100-$200 more, and you need more than 512MB of memory even to run XP. Both of those have very small hard drives and neither can read/write a dvd. More importantly, you have no disks with the OS to go with them, so if the current OS is trashed, you may not be able to start over (unless there is a restore partition?). I would pass on both and keep my eye on TigerDirect, NewEgg and other retailers for a good deal.
JMHO
Johanna