Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS, F8 command screen won't stay on for more than 1 second

• Please log in to reply

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This problem piggybacks another problem I had in another post in this forum. But, in order to fix the other problem, I have to fix this problem first...

I'm trying to fix some problems on my computer with my Windows Vista Repair Disc. However, none of the menus will stay up for more than 1 or 2 seconds at a time. When the Disc repair starts, it shows the repair starting and then screen goes black.

Same thing happens with any shorcut I type (F8, F2, F12, etc...) Even when I try to start in Safe Mode or get to the BIOS screen, I get the screen for 2 seconds max and all goes black (or moves onto the next step to eventually turn black altogether)

I cannot run the Vista repair disc without seeing what is going on. Any ideas on how I can make the screen last longer???

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
Follow the link I put in your first post.

abbygayle

abbygayle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted this in my other thread also:
I may have a break in the situation with some advice and playing around and the problem may be with the monitor
:
I think it may indeed a monitor issue because I hooked it up to an old monitor i had up in the attic and the pc does seem to work fine (at least in safe mode for the moment). Of course I could be wrong...

However, I cannot even get to the menu on my monitor. The strange thing is that I can see everything for about 2 seconds, but then it goes away (even if PC if shut down) . I have a Hanns G monitor. But I can't keep the screen from going black to get to the restore default in the menu.

Do you think there would be a way to reset default without having access to the on screen menu? I can't seem to find any indication of one in the user manual unfortunately.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Do you think there would be a way to reset default without having access to the on screen menu? I can't seem to find any indication of one in the user manual unfortunately

Unfortunately after looking at a couple of Hanns G manuals I believe you can only access the restore factory settings via the on screen menu.