Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help on upgrading!

• Please log in to reply

edwardj7337

edwardj7337

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Specifications are on the Xfire link and here:

Manufacturer:
Compaq Presario 061
Processor:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
191 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Monitor:
HP vs15 flat panel monitor
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Motherboard:
ASUSTek Computer INC. Amberine M 1.03 motherboard

I have had my computer for about 4 years now and no problems at all. I have added 1gb of ram and a GT8500 video card. I can run the games I like including: Counter Strike Source, Battlefield 2, and StarCraft 2. I have run other games which can be found here: Xfire Profile

When I run StarCraft 2 I can run it on high with mostly no problem but into the game I start getting lag and my game starts going slow. I put my game on low and I get little lag only when there are many units but I wanted no lag so my only option was to put my video card on the "Performance" option for applications. so I did and now I get little to nothing at all of lag and I play it easily. But I do not want to play with the lowest settings!

I installed Battlefield Bad Company 2 a while ago and I could run it on the lowest settings just because it would give me at least an opportunity to play. But I played the whole single player with lag and slow gameplay every minute that I played.

I don't know what to do? I want to play my games with ease, I saw a guys specs on youtube: Dudes Specs

His specifications are as close as mine except the MotherBoard, I know video card, HD, and so on is different...

I have not ran that game but on "Can You Run It" it says I need a new CPU... Yet this guy can run it. If I got a similar Mother Board would I be able to run this game and others?

I want your opinion on one of these two items I should get?

Processor

or 1GB of ram?

Can the CPU above be put on my computer?

What I think is that I just need a new processor? Your opinions?

Thank You!

Advertisements

edwardj7337

edwardj7337

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bump. :)

edwardj7337

edwardj7337

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Please help with this, I have got no answer from no one.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Game runing at: 7FPS constantly

The video is showing a replay which is why it looks pretty good, but 7FPS is just crap, to be honest. It's pretty much unplayable - definitely not an enjoyable experience anyway.

Also that CPU you are looking at would be a "downgrade" from the current CPU you already have.

I personally wouldn't think about upgrading that machine anymore for gaming purposes... It's too old and too basic a machine. Can you give me some sort of budget you are looking at spending on upgrades?

Troy

edwardj7337

edwardj7337

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Game runing at: 7FPS constantly

The video is showing a replay which is why it looks pretty good, but 7FPS is just crap, to be honest. It's pretty much unplayable - definitely not an enjoyable experience anyway.

Also that CPU you are looking at would be a "downgrade" from the current CPU you already have.

I personally wouldn't think about upgrading that machine anymore for gaming purposes... It's too old and too basic a machine. Can you give me some sort of budget you are looking at spending on upgrades?

Troy

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!

Actually that video is not mine... It was just like a comparison, that "persons" computer is similar to mine other than just the motherboard.

I know my computer is a bit old but I am able to play most games but now I need an upgrade.

I can spend around 40-50 now...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I understand that video is not your machine...

Realistically, $50 is going to get you pretty much nowhere in terms of gaming performance upgrades. I would start saving up for a significant upgrade.

Troy

edwardj7337

edwardj7337

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I know you guys are the pros and stuff and I do not know if you are like most I have seen here where people have financial limits and you raise the bar.

If I get 1gb of ram that is significant, I would have wanted to get a motherboard or CPU. I guess I might just get ram or prob get a $70 motherboard in a few months or weeks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Dude I well and truly have financial limits, I understand. At the heart of my home machine is a 3-year old beast that has had a few upgrades along the way since. 3 years old is definitely a long way off any sort of "latest and greatest".

But my point is this - 3D gaming is an expensive hobby. So let's look at what you've got and see where we can get you then.

So you've already got 2GB RAM, I wouldn't worry about adding more at this stage. An 8500GT is a low end graphics card but considering the motherboard/CPU combo you have, I wouldn't look at anything more there for now either.

Unfortunately the limitation is going to be the CPU/motherboard combo, likely the PSU as well. Please advise the exact make and complete model number for your machine so we can find it on the manufacturer website and see if we can find info on what CPU upgrades it takes. Also advise what PSU is in the machine. You'll need to take the cover off and have a look at the sticker on the PSU. Please report back with total Wattage (W) and also Amps (A) on the +12V rail(s).

Cheers

Edited by Troy, 09 June 2010 - 04:34 AM.