Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting "error loading c:documents"

• Please log in to reply

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am getting a message on startup "the specified module could not be found". Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it happen when booting to Safe Mode?
If not then we need to look at your startups and possibly and bad driver or program.

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Does it happen when booting to Safe Mode?
If not then we need to look at your startups and possibly and bad driver or program.

I have not tried Safe Mode and do not know how to run it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To get to safe mode reboot the system.
At the second post screen start tapping F8 normally to enter the Advance Boot Options Menu.
There using your Arrow Keys go down to the line that says Safe Mode With networking.
Once highlighted click Enter and the system will bootup. Note that when doing this you will see a lot of lines of info scroll by. This is normal as the system is loading only generic drivers and it has to decide which ones to load. This process may take a little longer on the bootup so do not get worried.
If the process stops for anything more then a couple of minutes take note what is the last entry it stops on and let us know.
If it boots into Safe Mode completely you will know as in each corner normally the words Safe Mode will appear. Also there should be a notice that this is a Special Diagnostic Mode used by system administrators that should pop up before windows actually loads the desktop.
Try it for a while and let us know if the issue happens then.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 June 2010 - 10:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thank you. I've tried running Malwarebytes in safe mode but still it wouldn't run. Can I change the name so it will run fro .exe to something else? If so, how do I do that?

Where did MBAM come into all this?
I never asked you to run this program. You stated the message showed up on startup which means it is before windows completely loads.
Please do the steps I outlined in my previous post.
Is this a MBAM issue or is this a startup issue?

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you. I've tried running Malwarebytes in safe mode but still it wouldn't run. Can I change the name so it will run fro .exe to something else? If so, how do I do that?

Where did MBAM come into all this?
I never asked you to run this program. You stated the message showed up on startup which means it is before windows completely loads.
Please do the steps I outlined in my previous post.
Is this a MBAM issue or is this a startup issue?

Sorry. I have two issues. No. #1, I a RUNDLL error message after start up and my Malwarebytes program won't run. Tried to run it on safe mode and it still wouldn't work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can't help with the MBAM problem as thta would have to be addressed by Malware Techs.
Rundll issue is what I'm dealing with and if you booted into Safe Mode With networking does the rundll message still appear?

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can't help with the MBAM problem as thta would have to be addressed by Malware Techs.
Rundll issue is what I'm dealing with and if you booted into Safe Mode With networking does the rundll message still appear?

OK, When booting into Safe Mode, it doesn't appear

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thats good...that means we're dealing with a startup issue.
Now please do the following and let me know what you find.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK thats good...that means we're dealing with a startup issue.
Now please do the following and let me know what you find.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

OK, I have a laptop, when I go the Startups, what do I look for that are keyboard or touchpad entries? On the Startups, I see alot of rundll32's there.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I guess it looks like you may be infected according to Rorschach112
O would suggest following his advice to make sure they can get you healthy again. I will wait now till you are donewith them and if the problem is still occurring then return to this topic and we will continue.

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

The other problem I am having with the RUNDLL error message is that I cannot run my Malwarebytes program this is where I am stuck. I have already done the things you mentioned here, so I cannot fully solve the issue without finding out how to run the Malwarebytes program. Have tried to run it in Safe Mode with no luck. Can you tell me how I can change the name to run it?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Skip the mbam step and do the others

sunsetrider

sunsetrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Skip the mbam step and do the others

I found out how to change the name on my Malwarebytes program, was able to run a scan and found a lot of infections. When I restarted, the error message didn't appear. Now when I try to update my AVG antivirus, it will not update and comes back installation failed. Do you have any suggestions? Would appreciate any feedback, thanks.