Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding old Hard Drive to new computer

• Please log in to reply

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have recently constructed my first build. Everything is now working fine. I would like to incorporate my old HD (Quantum Fireball lct 30GB) for back-up. I am currently running well with my MB (ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe), 2 SATA drives in a RAID 0 array, windows XP. My CD and DVD drives are installed in the primary IDE slot. I have 2 other IDE slots on this MB. The SATA drives run on NTFS. My old HD is FAT32. I tried to install the old HD into the secondary IDE slot. It was recognized in the BIOS; however, XP would not acknowledge it as a hard drive.

Does it need to be switched from FAT32 to NTFS before installing it in my new computer?

Does it need a driver installed? I looked at Quantum.com but couldn't find it.

I tried to hook the old HD into the primary IDE slot, moved the optical drives to the secondary slot, made sure BIOS would boot from my working SATA drives first... BAD NEWS. Everything crashed. I couldn't even get into SAFE MODE. I had to reinstall XP.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Do you want to keep any data on the old drive?
If not, connect the hard drive so it is recognized by the BIOS.
Go to Administrative Tools via Control Panel.
Disk management. Is the old disk there? If it is format it via NTFS and you're done.

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I would kind of like to keep the files on the old drive. I've been chicken (haven't figured out how) to convert it from FAT32 to NTFS. But that's another topic. Thanks for your input.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
XP can recognise FAT32 as well as NTFS so this isn't the problem. That said, you may still have to format the drive if it turns out the data on the drive is corrupted etc.
Can you boot the old drive in the old system to test if it's OK?

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for your help.

Yes, the drive works perfectly in my old computer running XP. It's only in my new set-up that it isn't recognized.
MB: ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe
CPU: P4 3.2 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Main HDs: Western Digital SATA 80 GB x2 in RAID 0 array

Any ideas why the old drive crashed my new system? It is currently running the old HP computer fine.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Was the IDE drive recognised correctly in the bios on your new system?

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, I think it was.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
if you are trying to move the old hd into the new comp, you will have to put it into the secondary ide channel, i dont think a hd can be detected in primary if an sata hd is the boot drive-at least this was the problem with me.

Nixx

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK. I've established I will never place this old drive in anything other than the secondary IDE port. The BIOS recognize the HD for what it is. So why doesn't XP recognize it as a hard drive in "My Computer" or in Device Manager?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I would make sure the drive is jumpered to be the master. Then remove the optical drives completely, connect the hard drive to one of the ide channels (primary channel would be preferable if it works with hard drives) & make sure its recognised correctly in the bios. (You may need to clear the bios settings first).
If thats OK & windows recognises the drive, then reconnect the optical drives to the spare ide channel.

Advertisements

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, but I'm scared to put the old hard drive back on the primary channel. That's what happened when everything crashed. :tazz:
Granted, I did have the optical drives connected to a secondary IDE channel at the same time.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Then connect it to the secondary channel as a master instead. Still leave the optical drives off for now.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
like I said, Sata doesnt much like the other hd on the proimary channel, but optical devised should be fine.

Nixx

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK. I have just plugged the old HD into the 2ndary IDE channel. I don't have the optical drives hooked up. My BIOS recognizes the Quantum Fireball HD for what it is. However, XP does not see it. It is not under My Computer. And when I look in System Folder, Hardware, Device Manager, the only HD listed is my SATA 0 array. What's going on? (I also tried it with the optical drives hooked into the primary IDE channel.) The old HD is hooked up on the Master cable with the jumper set to Master.

?????

bgrauerholz

bgrauerholz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here's a brainstorm... Is it possible my new motherboard doesn't recognize the old HD file system FAT32?

I will try and look this up...