Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud Beeping on volume control

• Please log in to reply

360nourishment

360nourishment

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello

When I adjust the sound of my volume control, it makes an obnoxiously loud beeping sound (this does not happen when I adjust the Wave, SW Synth, CD Player, or PC speaker. This started about 2 weeks ago, after I inexplicably lost my sound completely, then the sound came back, but with this annoying beep.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you reinstall the sound card Drivers? It sounds like some software changed the sound drivers.

SRX660

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

Can you advise me how to do that? I tried to Google "how to reinstall sound card drivers on Windows XP" and received conflicting information, one person went as far as to say I would have to open up my computer. Yikes, hope it's not that complicated!

T.N.B.
www.360nourishment.com

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to check is in Device manager. There it should tell you what kind of chipset for sound you have on the motherboard. look for Sound, Video and Game Controllers and write down what type it says it is.

If you look up the make and model of the computer you may be able to find what the sound drivers are from the makers website.
If this is a custom built computer then you can open up the side panel on the computer and find the make and model of the motherboard. Then google the motherboard and go to the manufacturers website and find the correct drivers for that motherboard.

You may be able to just rerun the sound drivers exe program to reinstall the original drivers, but i find that does not always happen. So, i usually delete the driers out of device manager and then restart the computer. When windows finds the sound chipset and asks to look for drivers, i cancel and then run the new drivers exe i downloaded, and restart the computer again. Then it's time to see if the sound works correctly.

SRX660