Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I reset my internet IP Address

• Please log in to reply

LoneWolf217

LoneWolf217

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, I play Warcraft 3 and a friend of mine got my Internet IP address by having me go to a link. (This is not the IP address in run --> cmd --> ipconfig) He then decided to screw around with me and D Doss me or however it's spelled. All I know about that is all you need is someones IP address and you can lag out someones entire modem to restrict pretty much any internet activity, and brought my ping to around 50,000+.
Also, I have a Linksys WRT310N. How can I reset my Internet IP address? When this is done, is there any way for me to prevent this from happening again?

Oh, and also, on a separate note, I am having problems with my wireless network for quite a while now. Every time I attempt to connect to my wireless network, it either says the signal is weak or it gets stuck on obtaining IP address. How can I fix this? What can I do to diagnose the actual problem? Anything?

Edited by LoneWolf217, 06 June 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

a friend of mine got my Internet IP address by having me go to a link. (This is not the IP address in run --> cmd --> ipconfig) He then decided to screw around with me and D Doss me or however it's spelled.

Did you mean a 'DoS' (Denial of Service) attack? If so, you actually call this guy a friend. :) WOW!
A 'DoS' attack is very serious due to the fact that, in most cases, the attacker uses
other people's computer's, which he/she has taken control of through some form of malware, to
initiate the attack.

I would suggest re-evaluating what you consider a "friend" to be. :)

Oh, and also, on a separate note, I am having problems with my wireless network for quite a while now. Every time I attempt to connect to my wireless network, it either says the signal is weak or it gets stuck on obtaining IP address.

Try moving your router closer to your PC/Laptop. If your using your PC/Laptop in the same
house as your router, you should not have a problem, unless you have a giant house. :)

:) SGC :)

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 07 June 2010 - 04:16 AM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

How can I reset my Internet IP address? When this is done, is there any way for me to prevent this from happening again?

As far as resetting your IP, that is something to contact your ISP over. As far as prevention? Dump all those "friends" that do that kind of stuff and stay away from places like 4chan. Don't click on links when you don't know where it will take you.

LoneWolf217

LoneWolf217

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Alright, well thank you all

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Depending on what connection you have (and other factors?) But when I pulled out of the DSL modem from the telephone jack, so I received the new IP number in a significant increase over past with the modem turned on (not an expert in terms of DSL connection).

If you think your "friends" (as previously mentioned, it is a strange definition:)) should not get tired as a VPN connection to be a solution? When you receive the VPN's IP number and all data traffic passing through VPN tunnel before it comes out on the internet. Description of VPN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vpn

Since this solution is well a little circumstance, I admit.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Did you mean a 'DoS' (Denial of Service) attack? If so, you actually call this guy a friend. WOW!
A 'DoS' attack is very serious due to the fact that, in most cases, the attacker uses
other people's computer's, which he/she has taken control of through some form of malware, to
initiate the attack.

what you're thinking of is a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack. A DDoS will use a botnet or other collection of computers to initiate a simple DoS (denial of service) attack from each individual computer, causing the carnage to rise exponentially. a DDoS is a complex aggregated effect.

a simple DoS attack can be done from the home on one computer with simple software (LOIC anyone?), of course, depending on the severity of the attack it's generally considered illegal and can be grounds for your ISP cutting off your service.

for some additional historical data, back in the days of dial up modems (i'm talking 28.8 and slower though if you craft your packets correctly you could do it with a 56k as well) you could initiate a DoS with a simple "terminal ping" (ping <ip> -t) which is why a terminal ping is called the "ping of death". if you set the ping packet size high enough you could completely swamp a 28.8 connection with very little effort. for a 56k you have to increase the packet size a lot more.

to prevent it, don't give anyone your public IP address (simple), or use some form of anonymizer service like TOR (googles it)

Edited by dsenette, 08 June 2010 - 01:34 PM.
additional historical data

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Yes sir. Thank you dsenette, for the correction. :) I did mean 'DDoS'. Which
is what I think the OP meant.

He then decided to screw around with me and D Doss me or however it's spelled.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this probably counts as being pedantic, but one of the main purposes of this site is clarification and demystification. sooo...

when the OP said:

He then decided to screw around with me and D Doss me or however it's spelled

this particular spelling suggests that the first (or possibly only) time that the OP heard the term, it was spoken out loud. i.e. "dude i'm going to 'dee doss' the crap out of you". MOST professionals just use the letter acronym not the phonetic pronounciation ("dude, what's with the lag on my mail server? crap we're getting 'Dee Dee Oh Ess-ed'"). also the probability of some dingleberry down the street having a botnet under their own control for the sole purposes of being a dingleberry when they get fragged in a game is EXTREMELY low. that actually takes time and effort to set up. the only people who do DDoS attacks are people who have the time/desire to infect thousands of computers to DDoS a single MASSIVE target. it's also completely unnecessary to DDoS a single home computer, the probability of the OP having anything higher than a 16Mbps internet connection is low (though it's getting higher), it doesn't take a cloud of remotely controlled computers to clog a pipe that small to a point where playing a game is difficult or completely useless. especially a graphically intensive game.

i would postulate a guess that no single home user have ever been a victim of an actual DDoS. sure you might have 2 or 3 doofuses from 4chan hitting you at the same time, but that's not the same thing.

a DDoS is not a trivial event, it takes planning and coordination and a severe drive to pull it off. it's always targeted at a large entity like a company or government.

If you think your "friends" (as previously mentioned, it is a strange definition:)) should not get tired as a VPN connection to be a solution? When you receive the VPN's IP number and all data traffic passing through VPN tunnel before it comes out on the internet. Description of VPN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vpn

to clarify this. a VPN is an encapsulation technique that's used to encapsulate and encrypt traffic between two network segments/endpoints through the public internet. a VPN allows you to create a private "tunnel" through the public internet to keep your traffic safe from casual inspection or interception. a VPN tunnel is just like a tunnel on a road through a mountain. it's got a defined starting point and a defined ending point. you can't have a tunnel with a variable endpoint. i.e. you drive in to the tunnel in france on your way to england, half way through you decide you'd much rather go to spain. the end of the tunnel isn't going to magically move to spain because you want it to.

it's the same with a VPN, you have to have two endpoints. a client (your computer or some other VPN capable network device) and a "server" (either an actual server, a computer or some other VPN capable network device).

a VPNs purpose is to encrypt and protect your traffic from prying eyes, it will not protect you from a DoS or a DDoS. if someone gets the public IP of either endpoint, they can simply fire their attack at that endpoint and bring the whole tunnel down.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

i would postulate a guess that no single home user have ever been a victim of an actual DDoS. sure you might have 2 or 3 doofuses from 4chan hitting you at the same time, but that's not the same thing.

:) I'm sure you are absolutely correct with this assumption. I, once again, stand corrected.

If I would have just thought this through for a minute, I could have possibly come
to this same conclusion. I mean, come on, my friends all tell me I'm as sharp as a bowling ball. :)

That's why I love this place, some brilliant minds roaming around here.

Thank you once again dsenette. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If I would have just thought this through for a minute, I could have possibly come
to this same conclusion. I mean, come on, my friends all tell me I'm as sharp as a bowling ball.

as a GU student it's going to be in your best interest to read the CONTEXT of a post as well as the TEXT. being able to analyze and extrapolate the unspoken background info is going to go a long way to making you an effective malware fighter

Advertisements

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would also like to thank him for his clarity in a pedagogical way (concisely) what I had made a wrong assessment of what the VPN and its underlying technology.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
+12 for using pedagogical in a sentence

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

+12 for using pedagogical in a sentence

?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would hazard a guess that the vast majority of internet users have never heard that word, let alone know how to use it in a sentence correctly

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I sure didn't know what it meant.

*Googles define: pedagogical *