Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP Computer restarts when i click shut down

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
for about the past two months if i shut down my computer from windows it will just restart.
to turn it off i have to wait untill it starts booting again and do a hard shutdown.

It only does this if it gets to windows however, and if i do a hard shutdown from windows it still restarts.

This could be a hardware issuse however i do not think it is because it will shutdown when it hasn't loaded windows yet.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like you downloaded some software causing the problem. First, i would read the elder geeks page on the problem and see if you can solve it from there.I would also check into the programs running in the background with msconfig to see what may be stopping the shutdown. I might experiment with shutting off one program at a time and then rebooting to see if it solves the problem. Skip the windows programs until last for this.