Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc working fine but will not boot after shut down

• Please log in to reply

EJS

EJS

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I am totally non technical female lol have a pc which was custom built for me in sept 07. About 2 months ago we had a new hard drive installed due to freezing. Just after if was put in the clock started loosing time but then rectified itself. Now the pc will not boot after being shut down for a period of time it will however reboot if you immediately restart it. We have had the guy who we purchased it from replace the following...... New power supply, video card, ram, battery motherboard nothing has worked, however as long as we don't turn it off it's fine!!! The next thing is new motherboard???? That seems like we have practically replaced whole computer. I am just wondering if that sounds right as I expected it to last more than 2 half years when we paid nearly $1500 for it. Is there anything else it could be? Appreciate any advice before we part with the money for a new motherboard. Thanks EJ

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi EJS :) sorry to hear you are having these issues.
More information is needed about your system ie what motherboard,
hard drive, OS, cpu, ram etc this will enable others to help you better.
It does seem excessive the amount of parts you have had replaced
since new but that is another issue for you at the moment.
Have you run any virus/malware scans? also clearing unnecessary &
temporary files off the HDD could help, running multiple programmes
at one time especially linked to the start up menu can cause problems.
Below is the link to the malware forum, you will find the necessary information
on how to clean up your system here;
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Good luck & please let us know how it goes.

Edited by phillpower2, 07 June 2010 - 09:00 AM.

EJS

EJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for reply I am waiting for the guy to come and get it back on for me I am writing from iPhone he is able to restart it by opening it up. The spec on invoice is
AND X2/5200 dual core CPU
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 Pci-x DDR2 SATAII
Gigabyte 7600GS 256mb DDR2 Tv/dvi
GEIL 1 GB DDR2 667 memory
250gb SATA2 MB hard disk
it means nothing to me lol I was running AVG and using CCleaner every few days. There was quite few icons running in the botto
right r these the ones attached to the start up menu? I am not even sure that he has checked for a software problem as he said at first it was the power pack and really just did a process of elimination from there. I am considering having it looked at elsewherehowever he is a friend of family which makes it difficult!!
Thanks again EJ

EJS

EJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ps I'm running xp

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If you have the xp installation disk you could do a repair of the OS,
if you havn`t got one could you loan a copy! (it must be the same version of xp)
When your comp is going have a look at this link;
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx
Good luck & please ask if you require further assistance.