Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you block websites on Firefox?

• Please log in to reply

dan1987

dan1987

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Does anyone know how to block websites like Neopets.com in Firefox without any third-party applications? I do know that websites can be blocked in IE by going to tools-internet options-security- restricted sites then you can add the specific website. on firefox there is nothing like this. any ideas?Thanks.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi dan1987.

Good guestion you ask, one I never considered. But then I've had little problems with firefox and no one but me currently uses this machine. thank the Goddess for that!! ;)

But the the mozilla article, Configurable Security Policies descibes I believe what you are asking about.

I've never used this but I found it because of your question. If you have problems understanding how to use this article, post here or at the firedox forums.

I also found

There is currently no official dialog-based user interface for the Policy Manager, although one is currently under construction (https://bugzilla.moz...ug.cgi?id=38966). For Firefox, there is a third-party extension called Policy Manager which provides such an interface; it also allows for configuration of non-JavaScript functionality such as images, popups and cookies

that said you may wish to consider downloading Policy Manager. I haven't tryed it but I believe I'm gonna give it a try. :tazz:

Ps I tried it and it's doesn't work with anything but older versions of firefox, sorry on that one!

Edited by StarHawk, 22 May 2005 - 04:12 PM.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
How do you write a link "click here" and have the URL address attached without typing the address in , but it takes you where you need to go??

I hate posting go here: www.foreverandever.com
would like to say "click here"

Thanks

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
you are in a topic other then the one you are asking. i believe the exclamation mark at the top explains this: To avoid confusion, do not post your question in someone else's topic. Please start your own. dont want to be rude but....

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
My bad, I posted in the wrong area.

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Go to this website to learn about a "HOSTS" file. You can amend your host file to block any webpage.

http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
why do they make it so dificult to do something that is so simple on IE!!

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Just a few thoughts dan

why do they make it so dificult to do something that is so simple on IE!!

I agree it should be simpler, but editing HOST files or Security Policies is not that hard, now is it? Well maybe a little bit but you have to understand Firefox is open Source code. the they you mention are a team of programmers writing this stuff for free (free as far as I know). They think like programmers and firefox is a powerful tool if you learn how to use it properly. Of course, they want Firefox to be easy for anyone to use and as such I think they have did a great job. :tazz: It perhaps needs more work and someone needs to create a Security Policy extension. Programming projects go on forever, at least mine do. There are always more features to add and bugs to correct and the worst of all maybe i'd better rethink something. Feel free to join, see http://www.mozilla.org/developer/.
If I stumble across anything better I'll let ya know. ;)

Edited by StarHawk, 26 May 2005 - 05:36 PM.

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks a lot! my dad is really old fashioned and wants to use IE. we get a lot of spyware, adware, and viruses cuz of all the kids surfing the web.(which they shouldnt do) so thats why i changed to mozilla. he just wants to be able to block certain and general subject web-sites so the kids are not exposed. if you have any recommendation on a program that will be a good filter for kids and adults to use that doesnt have to be free that would be GREAT! thankyou again for your time.
-daniel