Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zonealarm Antivirus and Prevx/Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply

xmephistox

xmephistox

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have long known that one isn't supposed to run two anti virus programs. But after reading some PC Mag test and the blurb on Prevx site, I decided to buy and install Prevx, as a long time user of Zonealarm with Anti-Virus. Is that no problem or a big No No. In other words is their marketing blurb correct or not. Problem is you can't really turn Prevx off without completely uninstalling it.

And what about Malwarebytes? Would that interfere with Zonealarm with Antivirus? Just installing it? Driver conflicts maybe?

I'm asking because I'm having some seriously annoying problems lately, a bizarre sort of "redirects" in Opera, that are extrememly hard to get rid of. I can use google without a problem, no redirects there. But after a while Opera pops up a new tab, and the keywords from my previous google search (where did they get those from?) will be used for a search on sites on pages that very often don't even exist anymore or are just blank pages and that oddly enough still redirect to affilate links on other sites or just nowhere at all because the sites are gone. All very weird. It seems as if there's DNS hacks involved and all. There's also some .tmp files that are rootkit droppers involved that are trying to install a driver/rootkit. Anyway we'll deal with that in the appropriate forum I guess.

What I wanted to ask is: Is Zonealarm with Antivirus enough as a basic line of defense? I've been using it for years and never had a problem so far. I guess I just got lucky. After 12 years online without any issues it had to happen one day. And what really stumped me was that Opera is being exploited. A browser with such a small userbase. Neither Zonealarm nor Prevx, not even Malwarebytes notice the popup/new tab and the redirect obviously.

I always use Opera as default browser, the only exception is Firefox for my bank, that simply won't work in Opera, and all other browsers for my webdesign work and only for that. And I think that my own sites can be considered "safe" (untill proven otherwise of course).

Edited by xmephistox, 07 June 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
When you install more than 1 antivirus software they will have a tendency to cancel each other out. One scanner will pick up the dat files as a virus and quarantine them thereby rendering it useless.
You can have one virus scanner and then periodically run a online scanner. They do that in the malware forum.

Malware scanners are not a problem.

Now your problem. With re-directs, you could have a virus.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

xmephistox

xmephistox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
How would the malware experts here categorize Prevx. It's a hybrid that wants to do everything, so.. Is it an anti virus? anti-malware? ... that's where the confusion comes from. I thought it would be a good replacement for Spybot, so I took it for it's anti-malware features, but it is of course much more - or at least claims to be.

I searched these forums for some info or opinions on Prevx, much to my surprise, there wasn't anything relevant to be found. So I'd like to ask the malware experts and members here that use(d) it to please voice their opinon about it or their experiences with it.
I don't mind uninstalling it and sending it to the bin. My license will expire in a month anyway. If its ambiguity could cause problems then I can't be bothered.

Thanks for the reply.
I will post my case in the malware forum later. I'm still collecting information and observing what's happening with it.

Edited by xmephistox, 07 June 2010 - 11:28 AM.