Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delete file

• Please log in to reply

lordanubis

lordanubis

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am having a really hard time getting rid of one file in particular with my laptop (running Windows Vista). I have an incomplete mpeg file from some time ago, but when I try to delete it I get a screen that pops up saying "Moving to recycle bin". The trouble is, it will only sit there and never actually do anything, and on top of that, while it is doing this my Windows Explorer gets completely frozen and my task manager is telling my my CPU is at 100% capacity.

I have tried to look at the properties of the file, but the menu will never pop up no matter how long I wait. I tried to drag the file into the recycle bin, it still just comes up with the screen saying "Moving to recycle bin" (notice, it never asks me if I am sure I want to move that file to the bin), the CPU maxes out, and Windows Explorer freezes. I have tried an unlocker program, just in case another program was trying to use it, but that doesn't seem to help. I have even tried restarting in Safe Mode and deleting it there, but I get the exact same results. Additionally, once Windows tries to analyze the file to get an image for me, it seems to start the CPU useage problem up right away, so even closing the folder that houses the file can be a problem.

And as a rather strange turn of events, my Firefox doesn't seem to want to work now... I don't know why that program would get affected, but after several restarts it doesn't want to come back up anymore.

I have never seen anything like this, but would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get rid of this file. (Also, if I posted this in the wrong area, please let me know and I will repost it where it will get better attention). Thanks everyone.

Edited by lordanubis, 07 June 2010 - 12:59 AM.

Advertisements

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Quick update: In yet another bizzare twist, I decided to try and download the newest version of Firefox (since I can't get it to start now) and mistakenly downloaded it to my desktop. But when the download finished, it was not the Firefox exe file, it was another copy of the file that is causing me my problems. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything there, but I get the same results as before when I try to delete it.

Also, I did run my Norton scan (a rather intensive one that took several hours to complete) and it came up with nothing, so I don't think it's a virus or trojan. But then again, I am not sure what to think about it right now. This is really freaking me out now, so any help would be much appreciated.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
i've used this program before to get rid of files

http://www.softwarep...moveonboot.html

Description
MoveOnBoot allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows starts (it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its instructions). There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I tried out the program, but when I told it to begin the action I got an error saying the action failed. It seems access is denied...

Also, I tried to uninstall Firefox and then re-install it, and even with a fresh install Firefox refuses to start. I don't know if it is because of this problem, but the timing is very suspicious...

Edited by lordanubis, 07 June 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
can you post the exact file path to the file you want to remove

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The path is:

C:\Users\Anubis Elite\Downloads

At this point, I am actually ocnsidering just restoring things back to factory settings. I have noticed I am also losing hard drive space at a very noticable rate. I don't know what else to do.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://ccollomb.free...ocker/#download

Download Unlocker 1.8.9

MD5: 96dfcb5fcd2c4d13478a3d87b398c919 / SHA1: 6e46f38c67cdfb87e935c2dd3651af5c052d3d72

The other option is to kill Explorer.exe. From there, use the command line to navigate to the directory in question and delete the offending file.

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Killbox works well also.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try the two above suggestions

if they don't we can try my method ( its a little tougher )

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
KillBox worked!! I am elated! FINALLY it's gone. I tried the Unlocker program before and it did not help, tried Safe Mode and many other options only to have my CPU maxed out and be unable to delete it. Thank you!

However, I do have one remaining concern. As I mentioned, over the past few days when I noticed this file, I have lost a significant amount of hard drive space. In one day alone I lost about 3 GB of space, and every few hours I was losing 1/10 GB of space (i.e., after a few hours my remaining space would go from 69.9 to 69.8, etc). I haven't been downloading anything, or doing anything else to account for this loss of space. How do I reclaim it, or find out why it is now in use when it was not before? Is it possible I was hacked?

Advertisements

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have to take back what I said before. The file is still there... Killbox just took it out of the downloads folder and moved it to the Killbox folder. It is doing all the same things it was doing before, just in a a new location... Rorschach112, would you mind going over your other method?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
you need to give me the full path to the file, including the name of the file itself.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@lordanubis:

Boot from a Linux live CD such as Ubuntu or Knoppix. Mount the Windows volume then delete the offending file.

lordanubis

lordanubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Rorschach112: The current file path is now

C:\!KillBox\Japan Classroom Fun.mpeg

At this point I don't even know when or where I got the mpeg, nor have I seen it (any time I try to access it, it just makes everything crash). But I would very much like to rid myself of it. If your method doesn't work, do you think restoring the factory settings would do the trick?

DaffyKantReed: Unfortunately I don't have any such disc and am unable to try your method. I might have a friend who has one, but I'm not sure.

Edited by lordanubis, 11 June 2010 - 12:30 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Here's a BitTorrent link for Knoppix Linux, which can be very useful.

http://torrent.unix-...1-31-EN.torrent

Burn it a CD or DVD then boot from it. Then you can browse to the mpeg file and delete it.