Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Popup Blocker working but it's turned off!

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, never thought I would have to ask about a problem like this but it has become an annoyance now so here goes.

When I click on some internal webpage links they just don't work. With the sound turned up I hear the audio 'click' and get the message that Google toolbar has blocked a popup. (Examples seem to be Video and Audio links). Google toolbar popup blocker is turned off!. To be fare to Google toolbar if I disable it completely I still have the problem, the link doesn't work but there is no audible 'click'.

I have a dual boot machine- Win7 & Win Xp (64bit system). I have to reboot to Win 7 in order for all links to work. The Version of Internet explorer I am using in both cases is 8 (version 2.8.312/10). Internet Explorer seems to be working fine apart from this. Is something missing? Hope you can help.
Thanks

Steve :)

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try running IE with no addons.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I disabled all add ons without solving the problem. However I thought I had discovered the cause when a small window popped up saying do I want to download 'Adobe Flash' (This was a page with flash text. I know this as it was from my site). I clicked to download Flash but nothing happened. It seems that there is no Adobe Flash for XP 64bit?
Whilst searching for an answer I found that I could download and use the 32bit version of IE8 so I did thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately it hasn't so I am more confused as to what's going on now. I found another example if it helps. 'The Archers'/'Listen again' doesn't respond. I can't find any new info on Flash for 64bit.??? Am I missing something...?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
uninstall Google toolbar...
nojoy
try installing firefox to see if the links work...

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Yes the links in Firefox work! I would like to solve the problem with IE though. I have disabled all Add Ons and uninstalled Google Toolbar in Internet Explorer 8 but some links just don't work. Could this relate to the 'Flash' problem? Confused now... :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
copy and paste the addresses you can't get to work

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
The first is from one of my websites. The flash headings 'Paintings by Steve Bentley' are on every page. A message pops up asking do I want to download Adobe Flash. I click yes and nothing happens. I go to another page and the same message appears.
The second one- I click on latest episode and nothing at all happens.

http://www.stevebent...ages/mywork.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../archers/catch/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry for the delay...I am in the middle of moving to a new house...

First, uninstall Flash by using the Flash Uninstaller at the link below..

http://www.adobe.com...cfm?id=tn_14157

After that's done, then download the manual Flash player installer from the link below.. Run it to install Flash for Internet Explorer.

http://www.softwarep...rnet/flash.html

then Test flash and shockwave here...http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
test with any browsers you use...

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, Well first of all I wondered about uninstalling Flash player in the 64bit version of IE as if you remember I had found that there is no Flash available for IE 64bit. However I thought it may solve the problem on the 32bit version which I also have installed.

I followed the instructions to uninstall and re-install which appeared successful though I was unsure which version the positive messages applied to. (The link you sent to check Flash and Shockwave said the page was unavailable).

The problem still exists in both versions of IE but because I wanted to install it on the 32bit version only I tried again but it would not install as IE was running. I tried the uninstall program again from the desktop with no browser running and I now get the message that ‘The uninstaller will automatically continue when these conflicting programs are closed’ and specifies 'Internet Explorer' which as I have said is not running? Should I try in safe mode?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Sorry I was a while answering. I tried the same procedure in safe mode, the flash lettering in the first example above now show but the second 'listen again' link doesn't work yet it's fine in Firefox.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...to the softwarepatch and download IE 8...after you get the download...click on the download to install it...it will uninstall the old version of IE then it will reboot and finish installing...it will give you a fresh clean of IE...
I recommend you use firefox for your browser and only use IE for windows updates

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I have just noticed my last message has not shown in this post? Sorry must be me. I followed the instructions you gave but after clicking on the exe. file for I.E. I get the message that it cannot be installed with this Operating System? Not sure what to do now....