Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Laptop

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So I'm thinking about upgrading the CPU & graphics in my Acer Aspire 5536.

Anyone got any experience of upgrading laptops, and is there a general rule about what can go with which motherboard etc?

Edited by tiroshii, 07 June 2010 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Upgradability for a laptop is very limited.
Memory
HD
Battery
CPU is some instances
Everything else is usually soldered to the motherboard and therefore not upgradeable.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Upgradability for a laptop is very limited.
Memory
HD
Battery
CPU is some instances
Everything else is usually soldered to the motherboard and therefore not upgradeable.

That's what I thought. How do I check (without dismantling the thing) what's attached and what isn't?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
First post edited with more details

Edited by tiroshii, 07 June 2010 - 01:45 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Take a look at a manual.
I had a very difficult time trying to find your exact model.

The 5530 is the closest one.

http://www.intellcit...530G-Series.pdf

Upgrading/ serviceing a laptop is virtually impossible. Disassembly/ assembly is difficult. It is usually easier to purchase a new one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Soundcard and video for sure is attached as it is in every laptop.
Laptops never have the capability of upgrading internally the video card.
That requires a specialty shop on laptops to desolder the video chip and solder a new one in its place. In most cases the cost associated with the kinds of upgrades you want will highly out way the cost of a new laptop.
If someone with little or no experience with the laptops attempts this there is a possibility of crossing a solder joint which will short the complete system out.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Not quite every laptop, Ron. I have replaced the motherboard in a Toshiba Qosmio and as I was pulling it all apart I found the graphics card to be a separate, upgradeable card. It was quite a high-end laptop mind you, with a 9700GT Nvidia card in it or something like that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Troy... Sorry I have been under the weather lately and not getting back to some older topics as fast as I like.