Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting a volume?

• Please log in to reply

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Glad to hear this issue has been resolved. :)

Cheers! If there's anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to ask; just make sure to start a new thread in the appropriate forum. :)

Edited by FNP, 10 June 2010 - 12:16 AM.

Advertisements

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Xlnt news.

Perseverance pays, LOL.

Cheers, Rob

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks again, all.. (Opens bottle of NZ Sauvignon!) :)

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Uh, Oh!

All seemed fine until this morning, when I woke up the computer - or *tried* to.

"No operating system" was the only message on the otherwise black screen.....

I spent the day reinstalling W7 and starting the re-installation of all my programs: I'm having a great problem restoring my Thunderbird profile backup.....

I suspect the problem was, as I indicated above, the ".sys" file in the partition I deleted, which made the OS unbootable.

Note to myself: "The .sys file that is used is not necessarily in the Windows partition"!

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well that is a strange setup.

How many other readers have come across a C: drive which does not contain the OS.

I have put the paging file on another partition or drive in the past, but the OS is a new one on me. How on earth, and why would you, put the MBR on a drive other than the OS one??

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Well that is a strange setup.

How many other readers have come across a C: drive which does not contain the OS.

I have put the paging file on another partition or drive in the past, but the OS is a new one on me. How on earth, and why would you, put the MBR on a drive other than the OS one??

Long story!

Last year I tried the RC version of Windows seven, putting it on a "new" partition (D) and making it dual boot with the XP on "C".

I decided I didn't like it so removed all I could from D - but, as above, there were left some files that couldn't be deleted. Every time I went to boot up after this I was still presented with XP or seven choice but of course seven wasn't available.

I actually installed seven a couple of months ago (on C) and had no problems - which is where this thread came in since I asked how to get rid of the now useless D partition. Using Killdisk allowed me to remove it - but for some reason it stopped the computer booting at all!

However, I'm now back with seven, on C, and having fun reinstalling everything!

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
AAAH. Right.

Sounds like me, LOL. I too tried the Win7 RC when it came out - liked it and have now installed on 2 machines with 1 to go.

Some users are afraid to do a reinstall but it is pretty easy and gives you good practise. If you keep all your downloaded installers and save them to a flash drive or CD it is quick and easy to get running again and quietly update programmes as you get time.

When you are set up as you like it, you can burn a disk image to DVD and then a reinstall is about as easy as you can get.

Win7 is supposed to be able to burn an image but I haven't had much joy with that so I use my older version of Acronis.

Have fun. Remember, it is only a box of bits, LOL.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
How do you get an image with Acronis? And what does it do?

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Acronis will make an exact copy of your hard drive (an image), which you can use to restore your system very easily. It's not free but is recognised as one of the best. You will need an external USB hard drive as least as big as your C: drive, or burn the image to DVD.

http://www.acronis.c...ucts/trueimage/

Check out Gizmos for reviews on just about any freebie - http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Cheers

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Cheers.

Advertisements