Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Phantom files

• Please log in to reply

hakee_2006

hakee_2006

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone, I am digging my heart out for this one.

This has occured to me several times already, whenever I copy some files from a friend's computer onto my hard drive, the files fail to show in "My Computer" in the hard drive.

The files usually start appearing over the length of the next few days, but this gets very annoying, since I want to access the files already.

What happens exactly is: I copy the files at my friend's place, the next thing I do is, I go home and plug the hard drive in, the only files that would show are the ones that were there before, the newly copied ones are just not there!

Are there any suggestions or anything else that anyone would possibly recommend on getting the files back?

"My Computer" initially showed 26GB as the hard drive's left over capacity, however when I returned home it showed 24.4GB which means that the files are there, I just can't see them!

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Run search for the file names if u remember them they might have goten stuck in a temp folder or in a differnt folder then u thought

hakee_2006

hakee_2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have run a search already, this is not exactly a simple problem.

What happens is that the files gets incorrectly indexed by the drive(heaven know why that happens?)

Can someone give me suggestions of any kind?

Greatly appreciated!