Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-aware hangs on loading Win-7

• Please log in to reply

eatingtheproverbialcat

eatingtheproverbialcat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok to start off I am helping my sister who is in germany with this and I am in the USA. So correspondence might take some time.

The Reason that we got Ad-aware is because avast identified a .dll as:

http://www.threatexp...ce02a06b1ab7653

Adware.NewWeb!rem [PCTools]
Adware.NewWeb [Symantec]
not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.NewWeb.cl [Kaspersky Lab]
Generic PUP.x [McAfee]
not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.NewWeb [Ikarus]

Avast said it was un-able to remove it because it did not have access. So I went looking for a program that said it could take care of this and Ad-aware came up. Since I know of, and have used, Ad-aware I chose that one as the weapon to battle said adware problem. I told her to down load it (She took this to mean BUY it), and instale it with avast shut off, and run it with avast shut off.

The Problem that is happening is when ad-aware is started it goes to the splash screen and has "loading" on it but does not go past that point. It just sets there and does nothing. Up until just a few hours ago the Up-dater would not function as well. It would flash on the screen and then go strait to the loading screen. But it seems that the updater has sorted it self out.

The other programs running with it is Avast-Pro-5.x.x.x(I cant remember the numbers), Windows firewall, windows defender. If there are any other kind of programs that would get in the way please let me know what to look for.

The things that we have tried so far: (Always with avast shut off to prevent any conflicts.)

Un-instaling and re-instaling.(recommended on another forum)

Going into services stopping the program and then re-starting.(recommended on another forum)

Going into Safe Mode and atempting to start it.(recommended on another forum)

Using the task manager to stop the loading process so that the program could start. I know that sounds odd but when I stopped the splash screen it automatically started the program.(This one was done because I have the same system as she does and it is what made mine work.)

Advertisements

eatingtheproverbialcat

eatingtheproverbialcat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Should I move this to another place. It might not belong here. If it does not were should I move it to.