Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any way to fix an annoying Win7 thing in Windows Explorer...

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Open a Windows Explorer window in Win7.

On the left is the list of folders on your computer.

As soon as you double-click one of those folders to see its contents, the section on the left sort of resets so that the folder you clicked moves to the BOTTOM of the window.

This is a particularly obnoxious little thing Win7 does (amongst many of the annoying things it does)...any way to make it stop?

Edited by Phlegmbot, 08 June 2010 - 11:11 PM.

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
hi, my win7 does not act this way ,when i click on folders on the left nothing moves up or down .
,and im not sure what other annoying things yours is doing ,i have been using win7 since last year and do not find it annoying

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...for How to change Folder Options in Windows 7

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, Happyrock!

I checked there before posting here and saw no option that would change this aspect of Windows Explorer behavior.

Any other advice?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...in Folder Options set to Open folder in the same window

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
That's the current setting. Sighh.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
try going to optimize and ,layout and check off all. to view

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Bing, the organize > layout menu has no bearing on this sort of thing. The problem is finding out what does.

But thanks for taking a stab at it.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP

Bing, the organize > layout menu has no bearing on this sort of thing.

likely has about as much to do with it as folder options ,as folder option only take affect after you click on as folder in the right pain,don't see how that would affect what you click on in the left pain .attachment show s what my explorer looks like before i click on a item in the left pain

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
I see the error now. You misunderstood the issue. You have written Hello in the 2nd pane. It's the first pane that's a, well, pain.

=o]

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP

I see the error now. You misunderstood the issue. You have written Hello in the 2nd pane. It's the first pane that's a, well, pain.

=o]

no, i meant anything in the left pane, upper and lower ,with the harddrive file tree open or closed ,good luck ,i have 2 or 3 comp loaded with win7 here and none have ever acted like yours ,sorry, good luck

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hm. Interesting. Perhaps it's yet another bug with my Dell Inspiron. Very possible -- it's terribly buggy (which is why it's going back). I assumed it was a Win 7 thing. Hmm.... Will check around, see if others have this ish (of course, most people I know are either Mac users or still on XP).

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi Phlegmbot, it's not your Dell Inspiron, it's Windows 7. If you look through the Microsoft forums lots of people have complained about this 'bug' in Win7 but Microsoft do not class it as one, I believe it's there by design. So don't worry, you're not the only one with it... or the only one that's frustrated by it :)

Here's a couple of threads about it, here and here.

:)

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thx, BlackOxide!

And it seems that there's no solution.

I guess MS'll resolve it around the same time they resolve the issue of how 50% of programs upon UNDER the taskbar when you have the taskbar docked at the top of the screen.

Sigh.