Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering from one computer to antother

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Say i want to buy a new computer but want some of the stuff transferred from my old computer to the new one. I know you need an external hard drive or a usb stick to transfer some of the programs. The question i have is some of the programs i have installed on my computer that im wanting to transfer i dont have an exe. installation file for them. Do i need that file to transfer programs from one computer to another?

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
jckinnick-

You can't transfer programs from one system to another. You need to completely reinstall the program. The reason is that, in addition to the data in the Program Files folder, the program often installs data in other areas, such as hidden folders or certain registry keys. If you don't have the installation file or media, you're going to need to find a copy.

What program do you want to transfer?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
[bleep] thats what i figured. Sonar 4 is what im wanting to transfer.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I think I might have found a link here... if you need to purchase it again, contact customer support and explain your situation... I'm sure if you have your license they'll be able to accommodate you.