Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility help

• Please log in to reply

Grieving

Grieving

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, I'm new to building computers and was wondering if I could get some help as I'm not sure if these components are compatible or not:

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz Socket AM3 Box

Power Supply -Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W

Motherboard - Asus M4A78LT-M LE

Midtower chassis - Gigabyte GZ-X6BPD

RAM - Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL9 2GB

DVD burner - Samsung SH-S223C

Graphic Card - Sapphire Radeon HD5570 HDMI 1GB

3.5 inch SATA HD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 32MB 1TB

I was also wondering how I would be able to tell if components are compatible with each other and what it is I need to look for to find out.

I'm going for a cheap computer, let me know if I'm missing any components or if there are cheaper/better ones out there. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Grieving, 10 June 2010 - 01:08 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome... :)

The biggest thing you need to look out for in compatibility is the motherboard. Pretty much everything connects to the motherboard in some way so all you need to do is look up the motherboard specifications web page and you will find everything listed there - including CPU support list, RAM compatibility specs, how many SATA ports, etc...

So looking above, I can see an AM3 AMD processor, DDR3 RAM, I'm assuming the graphics card will be PCI-Express (it should be).

Now head on over to the Asus website and look up the Asus M4A78LT-M LE on the support page. See if you can find everything listed either specifically (i.e. CPU) or as compatible (i.e. as RAM specs, graphics card slot, SATA ports etc...) and let me know how you go.

Think of it like homework. :)

And if you get a bit lost, no worries, let me know what you do find out and I'll help you out with the ones you get stumped on.

Troy