Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to sent Tiscali mail

• Please log in to reply

Mijj

Mijj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I am trying to set up email access to a Tiscali emil account, accessing the internet via a Three 3G card. I have no problem retrieving mail, but cannot log on to the Tiscali SMTP server, despite trying all the settings in the Tiscali help pages (which are not self consistent!).

I have read elsewhere that Tiscali have been known to block access to their servers from other ISPs. Tiscali help desk said not, but i'm not sure I believe them! Does anybody know if it is possible to do this? If not, could I use an alternative SMTP server (eg Three or a different account I have set up on a hosting site or business) but keep the return address as Tiscali???

Many thanks in advance,

Mijj

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can only send email through Tiscali SMTP when you are connected to Tiscali, or TalkTalk as it is now known.

You may be able to use the Tiscali email address to send but you will need to use the SMTP server of the ISP you are connected to at the time.

Mijj

Mijj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks a lot for that. If I use another smtp server, and set the return address to xyz@tiscali.net, am I going to have email rejected because it looks like spam?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With respect, that's not your problem.
If you're sending valid emails and they get classed as spam at the receiving end, it's unfortunate, but it's not your problem.