Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot get Internet to work

• Please log in to reply

onetruth

onetruth

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a laptop that I bought over a year ago. It has NEVER worked on the Internet (so I doubt it has a virus). It's running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I've tried every suggestion I could find. I did the winsock reset (over and over again). I've tried resetting TCP/IP. I've downloaded updates and different browsers onto a flash drive and then installed them onto my laptop. I've disabled all firewalls. I've enabled DHCP, which only gave me 168.x.x.x ips. Then I used another computer (LAN connection) to get the ip address, and manually entered it, then used the same cable, since I knew that was working.

Randomly, after hours of working on it yesterday, it connected via a wireless connection, but the connection only lasted a minute. I haven't been able to get any other connection to work since.

I can always connect to a router via LAN or wireless network, but Internet never works (except for that freak minute yesterday that gave me false hope). Any help?

Advertisements

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Do you use a modem to connect to the Internet (except router product)? DSL modem, for example? Have you reset this product?

onetruth

onetruth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The modem/router isn't the problem, as other computers work fine. I haven't been able to connect at home or on any wireless network.

Selix

Selix

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
When you have a new computer, which has never worked, never been out on the internet. So, I can not see how you should have received malware on your computer (Although you can get it via CD / DVD 's).

But probably it's something else.

Have you tried from a computer that works to download the new network card drivers to your laptop and burn them on a CD? To install and see if it works. Check the manufacturer's website for example: Acer / HP / Asus / etc.

onetruth

onetruth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, I'll try that tonight when I get home.

I'm considering dumping Vista and getting Windows 7 in hopes that it'll finally work, but I can't afford that at the moment.