Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Require Lightning Protection for Modem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I have an external wireless modem with a broadband internet connection in my house. My desktop is connected through LAN cable to the modem while my laptops connect through wireless connection in my house. My home telephone line is connected to my external wireless modem through an ADSL splitter.

The public telephone cables are hung from pole to pole from the distribution point to my house. Whenever a lightning strikes in my neighborhood, a power surge occurs on the telephone line and always without fail damages my modem.

However my normal landline telephones still function properly even after a lightning strike. All other electrical appliances including my computer are unaffected after lightning strikes as all the power output in my house is protected by fuse.

Hence the problem is that whenever a lightning strikes, a power surge occurs exclusively on the unprotected telephone line causing damage to my modem.

I know that the best solution is to physically disconnect the telephone line from my modem after every time i use the internet. However i would like to know whether is there any other solution to this problem ?

Is there anything else that i can do such as fixing a lightning surge protector for my telephone line in my house before it reaches the modem ? My house is already equipped with a lightning protection rod on the roof but this only serves to protect the electrical power supply and not the telephone line as the telephone cables outside my house are hung from pole to pole over large distances and is vulnerable to accumulating charges/voltages during lightning strikes.

Is there any good reliable lightning protection device that i can install for my modem and/or telephone line ?

Edited by adai2020, 09 June 2010 - 11:49 AM.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You can buy surge-protection trailing power-sockets from any good computer store, some of which also have input/output for telephone jacks or modem jacks, and adsl jacks too. - I have one myself which has 6 power sockets, a pair of UK phone sockets (in/out), a pair of modem sockets (in/out) and a pair of ADSL sockets (in/out).

Incidentally, don't assume that an ordinary fuse will protect everything else from a power surge, it won't.
A household fuse has a surge tolerance way above that of voltage-sensitive computer equipment. You've just been lucky so far, although it's fair to say that thousands, maybe millions of computer users don't bother with surge protection, perhaps many of them don't even know about such things.

But if you buy a surge protection unit for your modem it would make sense to make use of the power sockets on it as well. Plug all your computer gear into it -- I have.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 09 June 2010 - 02:27 PM.