Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Impossible problem (NO I'm serious!)

• Please log in to reply

Qwertyhimself

Qwertyhimself

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to install some software which uses InstallShield Wizard. When I am installing it, it comes up with the (well-known) error:

"1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"

I have looked at EVERY help site I can find, and have tried everything, I even reinstalled Windows Xp Home Edition (I did a repair installation)

Allot of the things I tried didn't wokr because my computer wouldnt even let me do them, it would just come up with random errors. :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;888019

Qwertyhimself

Qwertyhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I did. I can't say that these solutions didn't work because my computer wouldnt even let me try them.

1. Reinstall the InstallScript engine- The file they gave does not exist on my computer.

2. Reinstall the InstallScript engine- This directory and file do not exist on my computer, the i386 folder does but not the file inside of it.

3. Register Idriver and Msiexec- Errors messeges came up after typing in both lines in the Run command prompt.

4. Change Permissions- The folder "Installer" does not exist on my computer, and in the past when I tried this solution it did not fix the problem

5. Stop other instances of Windows Installer- There are no instances running

6. Reinstall Windows XP- Tried it, and it didn't work either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can replace the registry

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

You can try Windows installation CD to repair the current installation

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
This seems pretty bizarre to me! Maybe you should try AVG and Ewido Virus scans on your hd and see if anything pops up. Also I would encourage you to defragment your [bleep] with diskkeeper so you can have complete system/software stability while addressing a problem like this. Also does the error on the installshield only come up when you are trying to install this "software"? If it does please post the software your trying to install.

Qwertyhimself

Qwertyhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im not so sure about replacing the registry, what would that do and would it be dangerous?

No it's whenever I try to install anything that has to do with Windows installer. You know what else is wierd is whenever I am trying to do a file search a little box comes up and says "Configuring Windows Installer" and you can hit cancel and it will take a little while, but eventually go off. It's almost like Windows Installer isn't on my computer. I found some site and installed Windows Installer 3.1 and it didn't change a thing. The Installer folder still doesnt exist on my computer and neither does any of the ms---- files. I will try running some virus scans but i dont think thats it because I was still haveing this problem back when I was doing virus scans all the time. Thanks

Hobo

Hobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Error -1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time

Tried Here?

Hobo

Hobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
http://consumer.inst....asp?id=Q108340

sorry maybe here

Qwertyhimself

Qwertyhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes several times, none of these things worked, good site though. Again, its not necessarily that none of their solution aren't the problem, but rather my comptuer wont even let me try them, the file wont be there, the registry key wont be there, a random error will come up etc. My computer isn't giving me anything to work with here. It's looking more and more like I am going to have to do a hard Windows reinstallation. I suspect this problem resulted after too many Windows installation over other windows installations. Thanks anyways.