Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system totaled; format new volume, old volume as a backup?

• Please log in to reply

joemama91

joemama91

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a virus or something that prevents me from doing most of the things I want to on my computer, but I have a few files I don't want sent to oblivion and no way to back stuff up. I created a new volume on my disk. Is there some way to install windows freshly on there and address the files on the old volume at a later date?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I created a new volume on my disk

What do you mean by "volume"? New partition?

Another option...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Edited by Broni, 09 June 2010 - 06:05 PM.

joemama91

joemama91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the response. Yes I mean partition. With all due respect I've troubleshooted this with microsoft (though admittedly they didn't try viruses) and my current problem is I have a blank new Z drive.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
MS guys have no clue about viruses.
Try G2G malware experts and they will get you up and running in no time :)

joemama91

joemama91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That makes sense. The circumstances of the problem will make following that guide tedious but I'm sure it won't be as bad as having those fools run me in circles restarting my computer and resetting IE to default settings...

Thank you, hopefully I will find a real solution after all.

edit: I don't use dat trash anyway (IE)

Edited by joemama91, 10 June 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good luck :)