Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for 19 inch LCD for gaming

• Please log in to reply

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i'm looking to upgrade from an old dell E176FP 17 inch LCD. its got a 12ms (black to white) response time.

i want an lcd that produces little to no blur.

ive seen newer monitors that were advertised as 5ms GTG and were actually somewhere around 10-15ms true typical response time. evil monitor manufacturers...

so i'm a bit hesistant at this point.

i'd really appreciate some people suggesting monitor's they've used extensively for gaming and can testify that the monitor's have a good response time.

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I use an HP 2009m 19" diag monitor for my primary monitor on my desktop which is pretty good at gaming. I play alot of games from all different genres. Back to your question I haven't noticed any blurring at all. It is a really sharp display IMO and like it. I am actually thinking about getting a 2nd one for a dual monitors soon as I have more free cash.

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I use an HP 2009m 19" diag monitor for my primary monitor on my desktop which is pretty good at gaming. I play alot of games from all different genres. Back to your question I haven't noticed any blurring at all. It is a really sharp display IMO and like it. I am actually thinking about getting a 2nd one for a dual monitors soon as I have more free cash.

yeah, that seems to be the consensus...
ive seen the thing in video reviews and i've seen how reflective that glossy surface is. i don't think i'd like it.
obviously its not a problem for most because it one of the top selling/highest rated monitors... but still... idk. thanks for the reply.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
To me when it is on it isn't all that reflective at all. When it is off is when you can see your self. Another thing is go into a store that sells it, and really look at it. I think staples has it as an active display meaning it is on with images over the screen. This way you can see for your self on how it looks.

Edited by amw_drizz, 10 June 2010 - 06:20 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sadly, you made the biggest mistake when asking for hardware suggestions - no budget. :)

Also, understand many, if not most, of the current games support widescreen resolutions. A 19" widescreen is going to be pretty short and seem pretty small over all. Have you gone to a store and looked at them? My 22" widescreens are less than 1 inch taller than my 17" normal (4:3) monitor.

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sadly, you made the biggest mistake when asking for hardware suggestions - no budget. :)

$300 is my budget. :)

Also, understand many, if not most, of the current games support widescreen resolutions. A 19" widescreen is going to be pretty short and seem pretty small over all. Have you gone to a store and looked at them? My 22" widescreens are less than 1 inch taller than my 17" normal (4:3) monitor.

alright, well then recommend any size below ...24" i guess.
my desk isn't very big, so thats why i'm looking for something relatively small.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

my desk isn't very big, so thats why i'm looking for something relatively small.

I hear you, but this might be where you do need to go to a store and look around. Note that many monitors today come with built-in speakers. I have a hutch over my desk so I am limited by height and speakers on many monitors add up to 2 inches. Some monitors have very large square bases, some smaller round. Some monitors have height adjustments (which I prefer), most are fixed (and usually too high for me). You should get out a ruler and determine your limitations.

Do you need or want integrated speakers? If you only care about system sounds, these speakers are just fine. If you will be listening to music or movies you will probably want external speakers for acceptable audio quality, even though they take up more disk space.

I can say this, I have used Samsung monitors of all shapes and sizes for years including 19" standard and 22" and 24" widescreens - never been disappointed.

I will also say you should look for a monitor that supports digital via HDMI. HDMI is replacing DVI as standard connector but no all monitors have them yet. So to future-proof your purchase, make sure any monitor you buy (this goes for graphics cards too) supports HDMI. If your graphics card only supports digital via DVI, adapter connectors are just a couple dollars.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Have you considered using a wall mounting kit such as this;
http://www.google.co...77501261337291#
I know its on amazon UK but its only an example of whats
available.

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236075

wow. what a tease.

no stand. unmountable.

what were they thinking?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

wow. what a tease.

no stand. unmountable.

what were they thinking?

Ummm, apparently you did not read the specs. Both Newegg and ASUS show it has a ring stand that works very well and allows for easy tilting.

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

wow. what a tease.

no stand. unmountable.

what were they thinking?

Ummm, apparently you did not read the specs. Both Newegg and ASUS show it has a ring stand that works very well and allows for easy tilting.

you know what i mean. a neck stand.

sub-midget

sub-midget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i ended up getting the ASUS MS238H 23".

I can only use it with VGA. The DVI->HDMI cable worked once. It ceased to work after that. The screen says "hdmi no signal" whenever i have the cable connected.

i contacted asus about the problem and i got this:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Stacey and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

In this situation, please change the input single port in OSD for a test.
If no effort, if possbile, please test the monitor on another computer and change another converter for a try.
If the above steps are still not helpful, please contact your retailer for a check. If it is due to LCD monitor faulty, the local reseller will send it to us through distributor for RMA. We will solve your problem as soon as possible.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
Troubleshooting - http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us
FAQ - http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Stacey

ASUS Customer Service

yeah... not very helpful.

my card is a geforce 9800 gtx+ 512mb

nvidia's site says the card supports hdmi.
http://www.nvidia.co...tx_plus_us.html

wiped the card drivers and installed the most recent drivers because apparently windows 7 installed old drivers.

i thought that may have been the problem but it still doesn't work.

monitor didn't come with any drivers and there aren't any drivers on asus website for this monitor.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would try another cable and I would try it on another computer too.