Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Graphics Card Update Quad Q6600 400W

• Please log in to reply

JohnDole

JohnDole

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I would like to upgrade the graphics card my PC. My PC has the following specs:

. Intel D975XBX2
. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
. 4 GB DDRII RAM
. ATI 2600 HD Radeon PRO
. Kingston 99U5316-001.A02LF 2x1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
. Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM 2x1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)
. PSU: NZXT PF400, DC output +3.3V + 5V + 12V -5V -12v + 5VSB, MAX A. 22A 35A 20A 0.5A 0.8A 3A.

I would like to update my graphics to the best possible graphics card for my system. I am ordering on newegg.ca so thats where I would be purchasing. My computer is a MDG Stealth if it matters. One thing I'm also gonna be doing is hooking it up to a 40" LCD to watch movies.

I am looking towards getting a HD 5670 (Newegg.ca) not to familiar with capability hoping this will work with my system and maybe looking for better options than this specific card. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome...

A HD 5770 is a fantastic card for the money, well known for giving great performance for the price. I would consider it over the 5670.

However I believe the PSU is of concern, I would probably look at upgrading that as well.

What price range are we looking at for these upgrades?

Troy

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I know the PSU is a concern, I don't think I'm going to replace it because I'm not the best tech around, I don't want to mess up the computer replacing PSU. I think I'm smart enough to replace just the graphics though. Trying to find the best possible graphics without replacing anything but graphics.

Edited by JohnDole, 13 June 2010 - 07:57 PM.

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just really wondering if there is anything better than the graphics card posted above for my system *without* replacing PSU and will my system support the graphics card? It says its PCI 2.1 but my motherboard only is 2.0. Is this a problem?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you think you're smart enough to upgrade the graphics without the PSU as well, then I suggest you just leave it as is. I do not recommend this and will not help any further unless you're willing to look at the PSU as well.

On the positive side, I believe you can upgrade the PSU - it's actually quite easy! All you need to do is take your time, be careful, and you'll be fine. Just make a mental note (or written would be better) of all the plugs that you unplug when you remove the original one, then make sure that they get re-connected again with the new PSU before finishing up.

If you have a look at the sticky to build your own computer, you'll be able to skim through and see some pictures of relevant bits that will help you understand what you're doing with the PSU.

Let me know what you decide, I'll be glad to help.

Troy

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If I don't have a choice I guess I have to. But the recommended settings says 400W. What PSU you recommend? Is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W a good choice? It has $20 mail in rebate and its only 84 Canadian.

Also, does this forum have links to a beginners guide of replacing a PSU? I think graphics replacement shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by JohnDole, 15 June 2010 - 02:34 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
We don't have an exact tutorial on that item, so in this case I can recommend you to another web page:

http://www.hardwares...er-Supply/362/1

That is in full detail and shouldn't present a problem to you at all. :)

That OCZ looks excellent, make use of the rebates and it's only $65 - an excellent bargain!

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright. And I am considering the extra $35 for a 5770 since in the end I am replacing the PSU, but unsure on the one I should get. I always had a Sapphire card in my system but I see that the XFX card has a lot more reviews and feedback. Should I stick with the Sapphire? Is there really a difference?

I checked out a graphics comparison website between the 5670 and the 5770 and saw a 50+% increase in pixel and texture rate. Not sure exactly what that is but the increase is pretty good. Any other recommendations would be great also, I'm just looking for what has the best reviews and positive feedback.

Edited by JohnDole, 16 June 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
In my opinion it would be better to go with XFX, simply for the lifetime warranty on their cards. Double-check it all out for yourself.

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do you think the card is worth the extra money? I'm not sure the brand is why I am asking. Is there a difference between the cards beside the warranty? Also will I need any extra cooling? I'm not sure if doing this will provide any extra head. I see a good buy for a case fan not sure if I should pick up a couple of these for the price. Or any other better options for cooling.

Edited by JohnDole, 18 June 2010 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Depends how much difference in price...

For case fans... what case do you have?

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Not sure, it looks like a transformer. Its a MDG Stealth. It is pretty big, should I get the measurements of it? I downloaded a program it says that it has 700RPM and 50 degrees. Should I open it up and tell you the fan?

Edited by JohnDole, 20 June 2010 - 07:58 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
50 degrees is pretty warm if that's at idle, are you talking C or F? If it's F then it's fine.

Does this program happen to be SpeedFan perchance? If not, download it as well and see what it reports.

Haha just did some research for your case and found the Whirlpool thread :) I have an account there too but haven't logged in for yonks.

Yeah just open up the case and have a look, no need to touch anything. How many case fan slots can you see? How many are used and how many are available? Describe the location of the used ones.

JohnDole

JohnDole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried getting help there from the beginning then they just stopped responding to one of my posts :).. It's C and I'm using a Intel Board program that I found in the drivers selection. Where would the slots be? I'll download SpeedFan and use this program instead does this have more accurate results?

Fan still 700RPM, CPU: -36C, Internal Temp: 49C, Temp3 50C, Temp 4 54C

Edited by JohnDole, 21 June 2010 - 04:32 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow, -36! That's amazing! You could just open the case and pull out an ice cream. :) Actually that would be really awesome!

I am not familiar with the Intel software so I can't comment on the accuracy of either. Speedfan has been known to be out on occasion as well. Just make sure to run Speedfan as administrator to pickup all the temp sensors. Run them both side by side and see if there are any differences.